Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Semi-intermittent "Whistling/Squeeking" noise from engine compartment.

2k OBW, manual, 147K

Over the last couple months a whistling/squeeking noise has developed under the hood. I don't think it's the belts because it's not a constant squeal that increases with rpm. Plus it just doesn't 'sound' like a belt. This sounds more like a squeaky bearing or something. It reminds me of a late 60's VW bug exhaust but powered by a rusty hamster wheel.

It doesn't do it during idle although if I rev the engine in neutral you can sort of hear it. Its most apparent when accelerating through 1st gear or cruising in 2nd 15-25mph.

At first I thought it was the alternator bearings so I removed the belt and spun the alt pulley but I cant spin it fast enough by hand to make any noise.

I drive dusty roads a lot so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the alternator or AC pulley.

I'd be nice to get a couple opinions though...

PS, all major repairs on schedule- I.E. timing belt at 109k

Tensioner for the A/C belt ?

Good possibility, worth checking. I had an intermittent squeal that turned out to be a slightly loose nut holding the A/C idler--the idler would cock to the side and rub against the mounting arm for 10 or 15 seconds then straighten out and be just fine.

Had to remove the radiator to get access to it. Oh well, needed to change coolant anyway and it gave me chance to backflush the radiator!

Good luck.