Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Semi-intermittent "Whistling/Squeeking" noise from engine compartment.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 211

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:06 PM

2k OBW, manual, 147K

Over the last couple months a whistling/squeeking noise has developed under the hood. I don't think it's the belts because it's not a constant squeal that increases with rpm. Plus it just doesn't 'sound' like a belt. This sounds more like a squeaky bearing or something. It reminds me of a late 60's VW bug exhaust but powered by a rusty hamster wheel.

It doesn't do it during idle although if I rev the engine in neutral you can sort of hear it. Its most apparent when accelerating through 1st gear or cruising in 2nd 15-25mph.

At first I thought it was the alternator bearings so I removed the belt and spun the alt pulley but I cant spin it fast enough by hand to make any noise.

I drive dusty roads a lot so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the alternator or AC pulley.
I'd be nice to get a couple opinions though...

PS, all major repairs on schedule- I.E. timing belt at 109k

#2 unibrook

unibrook

Sube1

• Members
  • 472 posts
  • Boston

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

A/C, water pump, turbo.

:rolleyes:

#3 cagranitz

cagranitz

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Waterbury, VT

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:12 AM

Tensioner for the A/C belt ?

#4 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,651 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

Tensioner for the A/C belt ?

Good possibility, worth checking. I had an intermittent squeal that turned out to be a slightly loose nut holding the A/C idler--the idler would cock to the side and rub against the mounting arm for 10 or 15 seconds then straighten out and be just fine.

Had to remove the radiator to get access to it. Oh well, needed to change coolant anyway and it gave me chance to backflush the radiator!

Good luck.

#5 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,403 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:10 PM

air filter box not securely closed.

#6 Bajamansam

Bajamansam

New User