Ultimate Subaru Message Board

drriver side clicking...

So today after I got off of work the gl-10 started clicking from the engine on the drivers side sounds like a lifter, could I have used to thin of oil ? I used 5w30 of mobil 1 full sythetic.... the engine has had all the gaskets and seals done along with all new belts no longer than a year ago.... figured I might ask if any ones. Had this problem with there gl also the blinker will work from time to time sometimes just stay solid or not work at all or work for 1 or 2 blinks than off. ... any advice?

Edited by SLCGL-10
adding

should not be oil related.

was the oil pump positively resealed with the engine work?

it's never ticked before and has had regular oil changes?

i would replace the oil pump next.

my typical order of addressing this:

1. reseal the oil pump

2. replace the oil pump with a new one

(sometimes i just skip step one so as to save time)

i've never seen those two steps not cure this issue on a normal EA/ER engine so I've never had to go further except once but that was on a vehicle that was driven thousands of miles on a blown headgasket and run hot numerous times. it had two seized HLA's that would not compress in a vice.

if steps 1 & 2 above didn't work next step would be to reseal the cam carriers and clean, rebuild, or replace the HLA's.

if you can do the work yourself it's fairly simple to just swap in a positively known good used oil pump or a new one. if you want the car another significant length of time I go with a new oil pump, it's well worth it since I've seen a new pump solve this issue many times.

harder decision when you have to pay a mechanic to do it.

the owner/admin of the subaruxt.com forum had an XT6 that was ticking, he resealed it 3 times and it came back every time. i mailed him a pump - and it hasn't ticked since. he's got a thread about it (or multiple) on the xt forum and that has been common experience for me, that's why i mailed a new pump for his car....i figured it would work and it did.

good luck.

Maybe you should switch to 10w 30. Although 5w30 is a recommended oil (for coldest climates), but at the same time, the FSM states that 5w30 is inappropriate for sustained high speed driving.

the hart in the fsm describes use of 5w30 for climate at 0 deg F or colder.

10w30 and 1w40 are charted for -10 deg to 100 def F

EA82 turbo according to 1988 xt fsm

Just cured Ben's ticking by replacing his oil pump. I drove for approximately 10,000 miles with the lifters ticking, sometimes REALLY LOUDLY. I could hear the car coming from 2 blocks away occasionally when the GF was driving. Long story short, 10,000 miles of that, put in a new oil pump and the car sounds good as new. In my experience with the tick, don't sweat it. I just wouldn't do a lot of high speed highway driving, but in terms of just using your car, it's gonna be loud, but it's not causing any long term damage, just a short term (until you fix it) gas mileage / performance hit.

Maybe you should switch to 10w 30. Although 5w30 is a recommended oil (for coldest climates), but at the same time, the FSM states that 5w30 is inappropriate for sustained high speed driving.

the hart in the fsm describes use of 5w30 for climate at 0 deg F or colder.

10w30 and 1w40 are charted for -10 deg to 100 def F

EA82 turbo according to 1988 xt fsm

I'm going to change to 10w30 once I change the oil pump Monday evening after work

Just cured Ben's ticking by replacing his oil pump. I drove for approximately 10,000 miles with the lifters ticking, sometimes REALLY LOUDLY. I could hear the car coming from 2 blocks away occasionally when the GF was driving. Long story short, 10,000 miles of that, put in a new oil pump and the car sounds good as new. In my experience with the tick, don't sweat it. I just wouldn't do a lot of high speed highway driving, but in terms of just using your car, it's gonna be loud, but it's not causing any long term damage, just a short term (until you fix it) gas mileage / performance hit.

Lol geezus that's a long while to get that problem fixed 10,000 miles crazy it didn't F*** anything up.... I'mnot gonna risk anything with the ea82t so that shizz is gettin fixed asap, from reading/searching about things heard these engines are crap....swappin it out in march or april :banana:

Lol geezus that's a long while to get that problem fixed 10,000 miles crazy it didn't F*** anything up.... I'mnot gonna risk anything with the ea82t so that shizz is gettin fixed asap, from reading/searching about things heard these engines are crap....swappin it out in march or april :banana:

if you are swapping out the engine in a few months, it isn't even worth touching the oil pump just because of the TOD. it isn't going to harm anything, just gets annoying at times

Edited by Skysm182

if you are swapping out the engine in a few months, it isn't even worth touching the oil pump just because of the TOD. it isn't going to harm anything, just gets annoying at times

I don't wanna have to here it is all and would like the motor as a spare in the future and I will sell you the one I'm throwing in or order you one ffrom my work at discounted price

Lol geezus that's a long while to get that problem fixed 10,000 miles crazy it didn't F*** anything up.... I'mnot gonna risk anything with the ea82t so that shizz is gettin fixed asap, from reading/searching about things heard these engines are crap....swappin it out in march or april

Yeah, desperate times call for desperate measures lol, the car was needed every day without fail, and money was super tight so no way to get a garage to do it quick (not that I would trust one to do so anyway). it took a couple of months until the gf/s semester ended at school before I could take the car off the road and tear into it.

For this reason though, I can assure you that driving with a T.O.D. will not do anything harmful to your engine except hurt economy/performance. It will also make people look at you when you drive by 99 percent of the time. and occasionally they will even inform you that it sounds like your car is running with no oil, which is when you get to tell them that you heard that running a car with no oil makes it last longer and smile and drive away :)

• 2 weeks later...