Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 impreza 2.2 swap with 2.5

bubba2gums18

I remember about the 99 Forester SOHC's but forget about the Impreza's.

The true way to tell IMO is look at where the wireharness is at the eng/trans on the passenger side.

If one has 3 connectors and the other has 2 it won't work. Atleast not easily.

Just had a call from a fella with a bad engine in a 99 2.5 SOHC.

Scored cylinder, bearings, had broken a cam (R intake IIR) last year.

Will lets say a 2000 2.2 from an Impreza or something work for this?

It took me 3 engines to get a "good" one for this car a few years ago.

It's a college kids car so I'm pretty sure it gets beat.

The dad recently did HG's and that's when he noticed the scoring.

I've done a lot of 2.2 inplace of a 2.5 DOHC swaps.

Is there an equivalent swap for the SOHC's?

I'll keep searching.

Yes there is - '99 to '01 Impreza's had a phase-II EJ22 (The EJ223) that drops into the 99 to 04 phase-II EJ25 cars.

There's a post in the new-gen section where a fellow not far from me put a phase-II EJ223 that I sold him into an '03 Legacy. Worked great.

But I haven't seen any difference in the reliability of the phase-II EJ22 vs. the phase-II EJ251/3 - they seem about the same. I've seen/heard of both engines going bad for one reason or another. Usually lack of frequent oil changes does them in.

They dropped the EJ223 after '01. The 223 was 147 HP - the 251 is 165. Too similar to bother building both.

GD

dave - the main difference is that on Phase II's the intakes are interchangeable unlike the earlier Phase I EJ22/EJ25 swaps.

still need the exhaust manifold - same dual port Ej25 and single port EJ22 difference.

sometimes Phase II's have differing timing trigger marks on the sprockets. to be sure you can always keep the crank sprockets and cam sprockets on the vehicle - move them from the original motor to "new" motor.

you can look at/count the trigger marks on the circumference/back and compare to see if they are different. it's rare that this comes up so i can't recall and haven't figured out what exactly this difference comes from but it's easy to work around if you ever do see it.