Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help needed with my forester.

Hi every body, I need a little help.I have a 1998 forester L. It has two problems,first one is cel po400 (egr flow) it has new brand new egr valve installed.Second,it is a pain to fill up with fuel,it's acting like it is full when it is empty.I have to just barely squeeze the trigger to get fuel into the tank and it takes forever to fill up.Could the cel be related to the fuel problem? Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you:)

Well I know when I changed the o2 sensor on my forester it took a little hole for the Ecu to re calibrate. So you could reset it and may change it. To reset it, unhook the positive battery cable for 15-20 min.

Is the egr a Oem? Or cheap version?

Is the egr a Oem? Or cheap version?

I really don't know,it was replaced before I got it. I do have a cheapo scanner that can clear codes. so i have cleared it and the cel comes back usually within 50 miles of travel.

Edited by Kayne

The EGR port in the head or intake manifold could be clogged.

There are a few vacuum hoses that go to the EGR valve and BPT valve that controls it. Make sure those are all connected and not split or broken.

The fuel fill issue is sometimes caused by a stuck vent valve on the filler tube.

With the engine warm, open the hood and raise the RPM.

You should hear a click from the EGR solenoid just below the EGR valve, then see the EGR diaphragm move.

If you do not hear the click, then chances are the solenoid is defective.

If you DO hear the click, but the diaphragm does NOT move, then use a vacuum gauge to follow the hoses back through the BPT ( back pressure transducer ) to the ported outlet on the intake manifold.

IF you hear the click AND have vacuum at the EGR, then it is either stuck ( remove and clean the pintle at the bottom ) or the diaphragm is leaking. Either way replacing it should fix it.

MOST TIMES, I have found either a clogged port, or the solenoid inlet/outlet is clogged.

• 4 months later...

Ok i want to thank everybody who offered advice. It was super helpful. I found three problems with the egr system,#1 the coil in the egr valve solenoid was fried. Replaced it,got for $91 with free shipping from partstrain and it is an oem part.second major issue was the bpt.I went to subaru for that one and also the somewhat new egr valve the was replaced before i bought the car,i took it off and it was gummed up with silicone.whoever installed it used silicone on the metal gasket and fillied the port with gunk. Cleaned it out,cleared the codes put a hundered miles on it got it inspected and its been running great. Only thing left to do is fix the fuel fill problem, but i can live with that.thank you guys again this is a great site.