Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-82 EA-81 Engine-Transmission interchangeability

I know that we have rehashed the issue quite a bit, but there are some issues that have not been solved.

The EA series flywheel is a stepped flywheel, and the steps for the two flywheels are different.

EA-81 7/8 step

EA-82 3/4 step

This difference makes it impossible to use the EA-82 pressure plate with the EA-81 Flywheel, ShawnW take note.

The Quick and dirty: If you cross EA series engines and transmissions, use the Flywheel and Pressure plate from the same engine, and the Clutch and pilot bearing that goes with the transmission.

Which now brings up another question, which throw out bearing do i use, its an EA-81 with the EA-81 pressure plate mated to a 5spd D/R

Yeah i figured that i've had enough problems with this build up that i would try to keep everyone else from getting burned, i have to wait 3-5 days for the parts store to "special order one" but i'll have an extra TO bearing and clutch surface with the kit so i guess those will be up for grabs if someone needs them.

yes i did... I have an ea81 engine. ea81 stock belhousing. ea81 4wd "large" flywheel. ea82 turbo clutch disc (aftermarket, listed as a 88 turbowagon clutch kit) and the ea82 pressure plate from the same kit as the clutch disc (I also tried fitting one at pap when I was doing some mix and match testing..) and I also used the same throwout bearing from the same kit too (ea82 TO bearing)

hope this helps...

This is all very confusing......some say the flywheel has to be machined to use all the EA82 clutch parts and other say you just use the EA82 clutch disk and throwout bearing.

What is the large 4WD flywheel? Is that different from the standard flywheel I have in my 1982 Brat with an EA81 motor and 4 sp D/R?

I had the standard EA-82 clutch, non turbo, so that may be a different thickness. but to be safe the EA-81 pressure plate is deeper and will give you better grip than the EA-82 pressure plate. the difference is so small when its new that it could not affect the clutch, but as it wears it might start slipping like mad. i also am running about 130-140 hp, thats optimistic but with the extra hp the engine puts out could make a clutch that dosn't slip on austin's engine slip on mine

• 2 months later...

I know this has been covered a million times BUT! I have a 1986 4x4 5 speed D/R with a EA 82 thats about to die. I can get a 1982 1.8 EA81 rebuilt out of a friends reck! Can someone please explain what clutch changes i have to do for this swap? Will the EA82 fly wheel bolt on to the EA81? Will the bellhousing change from engine to engine?

Thankyou

Dave icon11.gif