Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Correctly alignment DOCH timing before pin out?

1996 EJ25 DOCH outback.

i want to make sure if it's correctly alignment timing belt before i pull out tensioner adjuster's pin and put in the wagon..

im not sure if it's correctly alignment's belt...or just follow sprocket's alignment?

Photo0279.jpgPhoto0282.jpgPhoto0283.jpg

Photo0281.jpg

Photo0280.jpgPhoto0285.jpgPhoto0284.jpg

the crank sprocket dosent look right is belt going right direction ? cams are ok but crank gear line should lineup on the exact mark and the crank line on belt is ushaly a doted line or dubble line i whould only use a subaru belt on twin camer motor turns clockwise

so, bubble dot line..need one more teeth move to other teeth on crank?

the crank sprocket dosent look right is belt going right direction ? cams are ok but crank gear line should lineup on the exact mark and the crank line on belt is ushaly a doted line or dubble line i whould only use a subaru belt on twin camer motor turns clockwise

got you. it's more sense than belt's maker.

i have been counting on it and i did double rotate crankshaft. there prefect alignment.

If you have any doubt with a timing belt, count the number of teeth between each timing mark on the sprockets. That's the only way to be 100% sure it's on right.

I never use lines on a belt. Not even on the Subaru belt. Just line up marks with the covers and check everything at TDC after rotating the crank.

I use the lines because it's easy. Sometimes the lines are half a tooth off, though. So it helps to know which marks are on half teeth. But i still always count the teeth. It takes an extra minute, and it's a good way to know you've done it right.

I never use lines on a belt. Not even on the Subaru belt. Just line up marks with the covers and check everything at TDC after rotating the crank.

Could you expalin this a little further? TDC on which cylinder ? What are you looking for at TDC? Thanks. You can never be too careful doing a T-belt replacement.

I suggest the opposite.

I've seen many 2.5's and some 2.2's with deformed covers. And some 2.5 sprockets that are just plain 1/2 notch off with the marks. The notches not reliable..... you can see this is the case in this threads pictures.

lines on the belt are ussually more accurate. Although it's weird that the line on the crank is not on the right part of the ridge.

still, i would say that it looks correct as is. Espescially since you can see there is slack in the belt, so when you pull the pin, the drivers intake cam will come into better alignment.