Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ultimate Desert Subaru

New member here, thought this was a great place to pose this question. I'd love to hear what the experts have to say:

The Project: Subaru desert project

Needs to be: Run at relatively high speed, in dusty, high heat environment, with increased ground clearance and preferably increased suspension travel, to handle unexpected wash outs at speed, smallish whoops, ruts and embedded rocks.

Top speed not as important as reliability and the ability to be abused and ran hard for several thousand miles over several days, on conditions varying from dry lake beds, deep sand, bad gravel roads to nice pavement.

Overheating is a big concern, as is maintaining reliability and closeness to stock where possible (especially the motor). Also, the budget will be somewhat restricted.

So the question posed to you guys is:

What year/model Subaru would you start with, and then what modifications would you do to it for this hypothetical project I described. I'm into vintage as well as late-model Subarus, so don't limit your ideas.

I'm interested in specifics too, such as which brand of springs, tires, etc and which manufacturer of lift-kit, skid plate, etc...

Thanks, I look forward to you input...

OC

Edited by oregoncoast

fun project!

others here will have great ideas but the first 2 things that come to my mind are; EJ22 engine (or built frankenmotor) and a rear LSD from the late 80s.

I think the Aussies run Soob-powered sand rails, maybe search the net for how they set those up.

I'm thinking the EJ22 is a good choice too, thanks for the reply!

Power and reliability? I would not settle for less than a 22. I would personally try for a built EJ25 from a newer Rex.

Completely new suspension is a must with coils.

Subframe additions

Armor

Rollcage to compete

Basically you want a CORR truck with a Subaru body?! :brow:

Power and reliability? I would not settle for less than a 22. I would personally try for a built EJ25 from a newer Rex.

Completely new suspension is a must with coils.

Subframe additions

Armor

Rollcage to compete

Basically you want a CORR truck with a Subaru body?! :brow:

Rollcage for sure, and engine bay cage I think.

Skid plate but with some louvers or holes to keep the air going through...not worried about sticks poking through, just big rocks, rocks and more rocks!

I was originally thinking of going vintage, but now focusing on something newer with a 2.2 already in it to avoid having to do a swap. Don't want a huge lift, thinking just an inch or two.

Don't want a full on baja trophy truck or buggy either..lol. But would love to actually gain a little in suspension travel..is that even possible? Seen some pretty impressive, and expensive Bilstiens for Soobs, anyone got a bit more actual suspension travel vs. just a body lift and bigger wheels? I'd rather stick with stock wheel sizes or close to it.

You have described my car to the "T" :D

CC0901.jpg

cool!

gotta link?

2.2 the way to go. A nice external oil cooler and filter to ad capacity, a air filter made to deal with dust is where I would start.

I was thinking oil cooler too, I am coming from a desert motorcycle background, so keeping the motor cool is of prime importance to me. Also some air filter mods for dealing with dust and silt.

Got any specifics on what has been done and works?

Was also thinking about a couple of pusher fans in front of the radiator...anyone ever mount up an auxiliary radiator as well?

Thanks for all of the input, please keep it coming..good stuff.

Some of the earlier pics are gone but it gets going again around page 10 or so.

As far as longer travel struts.....some rally coilovers have a little more travel but if you have a properly dampened strut you can get away with a mild bolt on coilover. Check out what Barrett from All Wheels Driven (out of Oregon) has to offer. Great struts and great price. I just recently went to a 04 STI strut on my car which has a touch less travel than I had stock but valving is waaaay better. I am also working on a prototype long travel strut (10'' of useable travel) but you are looking at around 4k for the set.

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=765

Here is the bolt on package with the long travel strut (bolts onto an Impreza chassis also)

PICT0911.jpg

PICT0911.jpg

Very cool...a little more jacked than I want to go. I did go and poke around at dirty impreza for awhile...nice stuff.

You planning on running in the Baja? Or just for fun? My brother and I have been kicking the idea of a baja 500 Subaru around for the last year.

Not quite sure yet, working out some ideas with the wife...just for fun for now. What I want to build is something between a Rally America car and a soob set up for off-roading (mudding/rocks).

I'm actually really liking the idea of an older Outback (2.2), just because it really doesn't fit either of those categories as well as some other models of subarus. And this thing would be driven for long distances and would require a little room for some stuff (parts, spares, personal stuff).

I really like the vintage Dakar-Paris vehicles...so that is sort of the idea for this project...not a total tubular framed race car with some fiberglass panels bolted on...but basically a production model with some modification to make it a true "overland" vehicle, but still ride nice on the tarmac.

I probably should just buy a quadcab Toyota or Nissan 4x4 pick-up and call it good...of course, what would the fun of that be?? :brow:

Picking up some great information just poking around here and that other site...as well as using my google-fu.

I feel stupid having this thread here...any ideas on getting a mod to move it??

Edited by oregoncoast

I think a turbo baja would be perfect..!

DMS struts, BFG A/T's an offroad bumper, rollbar , plenty of easy access for gear..Much like a dakar or baja rally car.

I've yet to see a baja built right yet and used it like the baja name suggest...:headbang:

I've only seen a one baja set up for Oregon trail rally, and one at last years WCSS13 with offroad bumpers..

Edited by scoobyclimbs

I think a turbo baja would be perfect..!

DMS struts, BFG A/T's an offroad bumper, rollbar , plenty of easy access for gear..Much like a dakar or baja rally car.

I've yet to see a baja built right yet and used it like the baja name suggest...:headbang:

I've only seen a one baja set up for Oregon trail rally, and one at last years WCSS13 with offroad bumpers..

Now, if they just weren't so dang expensive!!

Mostly stock with ground clearance?

Forester fits that bill perfectly. Get a 98 cheap with a blown 25dohc and drop in a 2.2 from a 95 legacy. Its a straight drop-in swap. Put 1" Jackson rally spacers on the struts for that extra bit of lift and call it good.

You'll get good ground clearance, room for common sized tires (less$$), and will have good gearing for the 2.2.

Oh forgot to mention, set of Delta torque grind cams. They give a nice increase in bottom end power.