Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New CV shaft rubbing on steering shaft

I wrecked the end of my cv shaft hammering it out of the hub so I replaced it with a brand new unit, however I did this at the same time as a ton of other work (EJ swap including removing the dash and dropping the steering column)

Now under hard acceleration in first gear I get a very loud buzzing noise, and it appears the CV boot is rubbing on the steering shaft and possibly the clamp rubbing on the rag joint.

Can't seem to find any threads on this happening, anyone have any experience? I want to fix this before it kills the boot!

EDIT:

Vehicle would help I suppose.

83 Brat with EJ22E and 4MT

My mostly stock 85 brat (ea81 with Dr4mt) had the same problem when I installed new empi front half shafts. A combination of replacing the trans mounts and adjusting the pitch stop (which wasn't bearing any load prior to adjustment) fixed the issue although its back now and I'm not sure what changed. The new axles have significantly larger DOJ cups, I was told that they appear similar to xt6 axles... I think, some higher performance car from the era anyway. I would say start with figuring out a pitch stop. Mine is bad enough that going over a bump hard pushes the inner boot off the half shaft so you're in better shape than me.

Tom

my new empi axle has the same problem but not so bad as to worry me i noticed that the new axles are larger where they go into the transmission. mine is a stock 80 gl 1600 4wd for some reason it wore a little groove on the boot and stopped so i am just going to drive it for now.

On my brat there is a little bit of clearance, but hitting an sort of bump pushes the steering column into the boot and eventually pushes the boot off the half shaft. You can feel the steering column hitting the axle once you realize what is going on.

you know now that i think about it i just put kyb gr2's on my gl and it has stopped hitting my steering linkage so bad. that might be one thing to consider too worn struts or a heavier engine could be part of the problem

also when i bought my axel i brought my old one in and matched it up and the people at the parts store were surprised at the difference

Edited by mikaleda