Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As I mentioned on a previous thread, the clutch on my son's 2008 Legacy GT, 2.5 l turbo let go. He is currently deciding what to use for replacement parts. I recommended Exedy, but apparantly Exedy does not offer a clutch kit that can be used with the original flywheel. If you want to use an Exedy clutch, you have to buy their kit which includes a one-piece flywheel. Apparantly, the orginal flywheel in this car is two (or more?) pieces.

My questions are:

1. Does the above ring true?

2. Is there any reason the "multi-piece" original flywheel would not be resurfaceable?

Thanks,

Mike V.

Gee whiz. No comments at all guys? Now I am curious - Is the Legacy GT that rare of a bird that no one has experience with them?

Or was it something I said, maybe?

I was hoping to get some comments here especially since there is no Haynes manual available for this car and I do not have a source for a factory service manual.

Mike V.

My search of Exedy shows two clutch types for that vehicle.

Doublecheck. Go to their home page. Then find a retailer that sells what you wish.

Don't have 08 but here is 10. Should not be any major differences.

http://www.bustedfingermotorsports.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=122

Not knowing the mileage of vehicle, but I would suggest you tell your son to ease up on the high rpm launches.

O.

Thanks O.

The way we interpreted the Exedy website, the most basic (i.e. closest to OEM) clutch kit they sell for the Legacy GT Turbo includes disc, cover and release bearing but it MUST be used with their one-piece flywheel and will NOT work with the stock (two-piece) Subaru flywheel. Of course, Exedy also sells a kit that includes the above disc, cover, release bearing as well as their one-piece flywheel.

Beyond that, Exedy offers higher perormance (i.e. racing) clutches and flywheels.

We have ordered a standard replacement clutch kit from the local Subary dealer. I am hoping (counting on) that the flywheel can be resurfaced.

The vehicle has about 75,000 miles on it. My kid told me he doesn't spool up the turbo and drop the clutch as often as he used to.

The RSD page says, says:

" 2005-2009 Legacy GT requires the use of a 2006-2007 WRX flywheel for proper fitment."

Rats!! That suggests that the 2010 service manual that ocei77 directed me to may not be accurate for the 2008...

Nope, that's a different generation of Legacy.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, well we did the clutch job a few weeks ago. Learned a could of things in the process. The first thing that I think I learned is that there are not many active folks on this board with experience with this model car. So maybe there is not much interest in my tidbits about the job but anyway...

Had a heck of a time separating the engine from the transmission (bell housing). Was very badly stuck on the dowell pins. Seems like it would have been easy fro Subaru to design in some provision to make this easy, but instead you are forced to get a bit primitive trying to pry the darn things apart which I hate to do. Yes, we did apply heat (plumber's torch) to the area around the dowells.

The stock flywheel was indeed a two-piece design. The machinist advised me that he had to grind very slowly in order to avoid chatter because of this design. But he got the job done.

We struggled with reinstallation for quite a while since the doggone turbo is just barely in the path. I finally removed the passenger side stud from the engine and we were then able to succeed. That was a breakthrough and if I had realized this earlier I would have save a bunch of sweat and frustration.

The only other thing that was significantly different than other Subaru clutch jobs was that the inboard CV joints (or DOJs or whatever the correct term is) are not secured to transmission output shafts with roll pins. Instead, you just pull them out of the transmission. The output shafts, in this case, are actually part of the axle assembly. They pull out and get pushed back in (there is a circlip that springs out into a groove inside the differential). This setup is actually quicker/easier than dealing with the roll pins (which are easy enough anyway).

Oh yeah, the relase bearing is not held in place with the clips that we all know and love. No clips required. Another little improvement.

All the best,

Mike V.