Ultimate Subaru Message Board

That's it's job. That's how it works.

It needs to be SLOWLY compressed in a vice or large C-clamp. It should take somewhere in the range of 3 - 5 minutes. Use a small nail or Allen driver stuck through the holes in the tensioner housing and plunger to hold it back while you install it.

CompressedTentioner.jpg

which type do you have?

this

tensioner-00obw.jpg

or this

tensioner-earlier-style1.jpg

taken from here

with either tensioner you must slowly push the piston back into the sleeve. if you push it in too quickly you may damage the internals, causing the tensioner to fail.

you will see, once the tensioner piston is all the way in. where the pin or allen key goes. (make sure you put the key in so it faces out)

hope this helps

TOONGA

The old style (brass ones) were sturdy, reliable, and easily reusable.

The newer style seem less sturdy and expensive. But I'd usually replace them. IIR you have to pay close attention to their orientation when compressing hem too.

I take a long time to compress either of those.

If you wer ein the US I have a few "kits" including the aluminum piece that goes onto the block to allow use of the old style tensioner, an old style tensioner, bolts, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad it's working, yes the second style (older style) is more durable and slightly more forgiving. The key is sllooowwww compression, especially on the newer style. Else it pukes out the silicone fluid and then you have to replace. Though replacement on the newer style ones isn't a bad idea anyway.