Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dealer A/C

My '88 RX appears to have a dealer-installed A/C system: the equipment is there, but the climate control buttons don't have the A/C or A/C MAX settings. The system never worked and is currently partially disassembled, so it'd be unfun to try to figure it out.

This invokes a question: Under what modes is the compressor active with dealer A/C? Is it on in VENT, BILEV, and/or DEFROST? I don't have the owner's manual for this car, or any dealer supplements for the A/C system.

My XT has no VENT mode, only A/C, so I assume it runs in VENT mode in the RX, and if my old Impreza is any clue, it would also run in DEFROST.

As an aside, I really don't like the climate control in these cars (about the only thing I don't like, tbh): in this case I prefer Hondas, which typically always had cable-controlled mode functions (vacuum controls are teh suck), a FRESH/RECIRC air function, and an A/C switch so that I can run the A/C (or turn it off) whenever I please. Subaru finally installed a decent control system in my '99 RSK, but it certainly took them a while to do.

At any rate, if I decide to repair the system (which is currently partially disassembled), I'll install a separate switch for the compressor so that I can run it at will; I'd just like to know how it's currently supposed to operate.

IF it was dealer installed and not AM, the wires to the compressor would look factory, not thrown in. It would run in vent and defrost. Not as familiar with the RX system, so I'd have to look into the diagram to be sure. Adding a switch to run the compressor 'at will' is great, just make sure the power (or ground) out of the switch goes to the other AC safety switches before the compressor.

The button cluster was probably swithced out for a Non-AC one. The non-AC ones don't have the wiring to activate the A/C.

If the vent button has only one position, you've got a Non-AC one.

If the Vent button has 2 positions, plus off, you've got the right one, but the wrong actual plastic button. (correct would say AC/MAX)

A/C should run in "Vent" and "defrost" positions.

Everything as far as the A/C system is concerned looks authentic: there are no splices or hacks or handwritten labels or anything, and it uses a Matsu************a compressor that bolts on the outside of the alternator into a bracket with the FHI swoosh logo molded into it. However, there are several bits on the car that have numbers written on them in paint pen or something that I suspect may be from a junkyard, so perhaps the switch was switched out at some point. Gives me one more thing to look for, I guess, if I can find any places that actually have these cars down here. I'll probably still go the independent switch route, though; I don't always like running the compressor in defrost mode. Thanks, all.

Themoneypit, I'd probably take you up on your offer. I need... lots. Well, not really NEED, but it'd be nice to have: driver's power window switch, possibly the climate control switch unit (with A/C), the hatch area light lens, LH tail light, center shifter console (the one with the pocket) and maybe the driver's seat and rear folding seat backs. Cruise would be nice, but that's a lot of stuff, and I don't have the second cable attachment for it on the throttle so I'm not sure how it'd wire up. And a full clutch fan shroud; mine just has a little crescent-looking thing off of an older GL, which is only marginally better than running the fan naked. Maybe if you've got alloys and the LSD has yet to be spoken for, I'd be interested in those as well.

So yeah, if you're gonna go that route, let me know.

Thanks for that site, grossgary, but sadly it has yet to prove helpful: when the site shows a listing, a call to the yard usually elicits a 'no, ain't got nothin' like that,' and the distances are just a tad too great to warrant a potentially fruitless trip out to see which one was correct. Some days I wish I were into F150s and Camaros instead of obscure Japanese cars, especially down here.