Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fuel gauge stopped working, sorta.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dj7291993

Dj7291993

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Falcon, CO (Colo Springs)

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

So, I was changing out the lights in my instrument cluster (87 GL Coupe, EA82 Carb, originally automatic, converted to manual), worked great, no issues. All the gauges still worked, the only thing I unplugged was the speedo cable. So, I put it all back, went to move the car, and noticed the gauge was pegged (full), so I checked to make sure I hadn't bumped it, like I've done on the coolant and oil guage, but it's range was still normal. So, I turned on the car, and it didn't change. However, if you move the gauge, by hand, to the "E" side of 1/2, it will fall to that side's end of travel. If you move it to above 1/2, it will rise to strait up (past full). If you get it really close to 1/2, it stays put.

I checked the wires, to see if I had bumper them, they all look ok. I jiggled it around, no change, so I tried unplugging it (the connector), and the gauge goes all the way up, from where ever the needle starts.

Any ideas on what I might have done to it?

Note: I did try searching, but didn't see anything similar.

Edited by Dj7291993, 12 October 2012 - 07:22 PM.
Added Note.

#2 Dj7291993

Dj7291993

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Anybody? Any recommendations on where I should start for testing? Anything? Please?

#3 Dj7291993

Dj7291993

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

I might have fixed it, but I won't know for sure 'till I get to the next fill up. I think the needle twisted on the spindle, so I popped it off and put it back about where it was before. It seems to dip a lot more when I go around corners, but it does go back up. I'll update when after I fill it up this coming week.

#4 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,731 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

If you removed the Front plastic screen from the instrument cluster and Moved the Needle up, it will do something similar to your description...

I already answered this question in the other thread about the instrument Cluster, but basically talking, the solution is to place the needle back again to the place it was pointing before removing the Cluster, when you place it again back in the car.

Kind Regards.

#5 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

It sounds to me the meter got tied to a voltage it shouldn't have and pegged it out. Disconnecting the wiring to it should allow the meter to go back to the resting point. The gauge may be damaged now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users