Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Legacy OB 5M reverse lights don't work

Hey,

I noticed my reverse lights don't work. If I wiggle the gear shift (manual) I will get a flicker every so often, but now this method seems to be failing as well. Is the reverse light switch a bear to get to? where is it? how do i get to it?

thanks,

adam

p.s. anyone know of an auto parts paint that matches the gray outback trim?

I've not had any experience with 5 speed Subaru's (autoboxes here), but previous Toyotas and Nissans I've had have a switch looking much the same shape as a smallish sparkplug socket. It sticks out of the side of the transmission and has only one wire coming from it. It shouldn't be too hard to spot from under the car, and I suspect like others I've replaced, it simply unscrews from the case. Check yours to see if its just loose before you get a new one. Maybe someone else with more direct experience can offer more help. Good Luck!

Mine were out a bit. Had the mechanic check the switch. Said it was bad. Thereafter, they started working. Not sure if taking it out and putting it back in fixed it or what. It was covered in oil from an oil leak. Cleaning it off a bit to check it may have fixed it, as well.

Also, it may be coincidental to the above, but I noticed a brake light out one day. It wasn't really until after that when I noticed the backup lights working again. Perhaps the bad brake light altered the circuit? Not really sure.

But, if you need to change it, my research from the experience indicates gbhrps is correct. Left side of the transmission, plug with a wire coming out. They're about $25-$30 online. Unhook cable, unscrew switch, reverse with new. Might need to put it up on ramps or jackstands. it's a tight fit under there.