Ultimate Subaru Message Board

code 35? air flow meter

ok, this is on my hatch with the 85 xt mpfi engine, and fuel injection. the computer is spitting out a 35, i think, my chiltons says its a air flow meter code. i have the flapper style, and thought those were pretty tough, also, looks like im runing lean, as my exhaust is white on the inside of the head pipes.i have tried to clean the meter, and didnt do anything.

to make the problem worse, i have the efi that was ONYLY on xt and early turbos. so they are rare, and i cant find one to swap. anybody familure with these, that could offer some advice on fixing my problem, or another problem that may send my computer this info, or make me run lean?

it runs great till i hit the throttle wide open then it surges, and loses power, presumably pre-ignition

also on a side note, mazda mafs look just like it, with the same plug in, but two more pins than the subaru, are there any others that will interchange?

thanks in advance for the help

Well suprise suprise... dude looked around for quite a while and he said 35 is EGR Selenoid Switch and it's either stuck on or off. I told him this was for an 85 XT 1.8 no turbo. He also said this could possibly cuase lean running condition.

It's been my expeirence with MAF's either they work or they dont and when they dont work the car just doesnt run or runs REALLY rough but not driveable at all. This was only with hotwires however; I have no experience with flappers.

-- For 1984 through 1986 Fuel Injected Models --

CODE PROBABLE CAUSE

11 Ignition Pulse

12 Starter Switch Off

13 Starter Switch On

14 Airflow Meter or Circuit

15 Atmospheric Pressure Switch - Fixed Value

16 Crank Angle Sensor or Circuit

17 Starter Switch or Circuit

21 Seized Air Flow Meter Flap

22 Pressure or Vacuum Switches - Fixed Value

23 Idle Switch - Fixed Value

24 Wide Open Throttle Switch - Fixed Value

25 Throttle Sensor Idle Switch or Circuit

31 Speed Sensor or Circuit

32 Oxygen Sensor or Circuit

33 Coolant Sensor or Circuit

34 Abnormal Aspirated Air Thermosensor (In Airflow Meter)

35 Air Flow Meter or EGR Solenoid Switch or Circuit

It's been my expeirence with MAF's either they work or they dont and when they dont work the car just doesnt run or runs REALLY rough but not driveable at all. This was only with hotwires however; I have no experience with flappers.

I just replaced the hotwire MAF on my 87 last week.. it idled fine drove ok.. was only really bad under accelleration at higher speeds.. plus I was only getting 15 MPG.. Just goes to show they do go bad in different ways

ug, there was an airflow signal in there somewhere

i got 35, 23, 24, 32, and 21.

the 23 should be the air flow meter. my chiltons has different charts for spfi, xt, 85-89 mpfi, theres like 4 different charts, and its all differnet, eithere way....

what you want for that meter calebs? i got about 30 bucks i can spare before iowa.

the car runs with the maf unplugged, so it could be bad and run good as far as i can tell.

i blocked off the egr, so that explains that. even with these minor problems, efi rules!