Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Legacy Outback engine Swap

Also the 96 2.2 on there from berea I believe I know the guy that is selling it I almost bought but didn't because I was told that a 2.2 wouldn't work in my car at the time. He was giving me a way better deal so I may try and call him today and see if that is the same engine.

right that website.

look for legacy and impreza engines - they both had 2.2's during the years you need and they are identical engines even if junk yards don't know it or don't think they work. same exact engine. they only know what the computer tells them and don't want an angry customer, they've never swapped a subaru engine before.

keep in mind you need the exhaust manifold for anything 1996 or later...just keep an eye on the engine list i typed up earlier - it's all there what you need to know.

ok so the 97 has the egr the manifold:headbang: It did come from an automatic but that shouldn't be to big of a deal. I am going to pick it up tomorrow and probably try and put it in the next weekend. I will keep everyone updated on the process. But after I get put in we celebrate.:drunk:

oh good. a 97 EJ22 you'll need the exhaust header, are you getting that too or need to find one?

auto/manual doesn't matter. in 1995 you can tell which ones have EGR or not by whether it's auto or manual...but later years don't have that distinction so it doesn't tell you anything. auto/manual EJ22's are all identical, same engine...you can even swap the ECU's, that doesn't even matter!

• 2 months later...

Ok so I finally got my engine and I'm getting ready to put it in this weekend. I have replaced the timing belt, pulleys, water pump new head gaskets, valve cover gaskets. My question is I'm now getting all my fluids and I was going to pick up what I thought was just a single serpentine belt for the car to run the a/c and all the other accessories that just bolt on to this engine.
The guys at Autozone don't always have right info so my question is. I have a 97 2.2 I am putting into the car (not the one pictured on the last page) how do those belts work? I ask this because my 2.5 has a tensioner pulley on the front of the engine to right of the main pulley. The 2.2 just has the main Pulley so how do I adjust tension and all of that? Has anyone ran into this before in switching from 2.5 to 2.2?

Ok I need a little bit of help again. We got the engines swapped out and everything is hooked up. But the engine will not start. It will turn over when you turn the key but will not start. I can smell gas so I know its getting fuel but it seems like there is no spark. I have replaced the spark plugs HGK's so I know thats not the problem. My plug wires seem to be fine as well. So could it be a fuse or something else? Give me some of your ideas to check when I get home tonight. Thanks

the timing is off. this is the most common cause of a no start after major engine work.

did you use the correct timing marks?

NOT the ARROWS, NEVER the ARROWS.

the hash mark on the front edge of the cam sprockets.

and the hash mark on the rear of the crank sprocket.

double check.

when the crank sprocket is in the correct position, the crank keyway will be down in the 6 oclock position.

did you replace the cam seals?

did you get the correct sprocket on the driver side?

if you removed the intake manifold, double check the wire connectors.

The timing is correct I went through it achecked everything several times. It is not the timing. It has to be something else. When we put the timing light on the car we got no light when trying to start it which means you have no spark coming through your wires. This is wear my problem lies. I just don't know where else I need to check