Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carter/Weber tighten down

Okay, When push on my air filter housing my Carter/stays tight to the air filter but pulls off of the engine. I want to get down in there and tighten it down but I want to replace the gaskets above and below that spacer. Where the heck can I get them?

Hey Andrew, Russ. The car was dying all the way home. I adjusted the throttle cable to take out a bunch of slack and burned off some oil by taking off the top of my air filter housing and reving the thing, (streams of white smoke pushed out but tapered off) went and bought a new air filter. It doesnt seem to die much anymore. Usually just when dropping rpms hard. I still think a proper timing is in order after swapping the disty, I know we lined everything up but it scares the crap out of me. :cool:

Hey andrew you should see my door handle housings! I took them all off and scrapped them down with a flexible butter knife and a flexshaft dremmel with a wire brush and the crummy decayed plastic powdered right off (more with the knife than the brush) The brush more or less got the corners and smoothed out a few things. I then used some stuff (black back or black restore or something like that) and it turned it all the right color (tan for those who dont know.) I recommend this fix! Its not perfect but it looks far less tacky.

I managed to get the torsion bar, the one that holds the trunk up, in with just my hands. I wired up my stereo correctly and now can listen to tunes. I also connected my rear speakers. I am missing my passenger speaker but I will try to find that at a junk yard. Got the paint and stickers off. (the paint on the steering wheel was not easy.) it was white out for those just tuning in said something to the tune of No Girls allowed:banghead:

The story is I just bought an 83 gl 1.8 c/w 1bbl 2wdr with power steering, no ac, marron w/ tan interior, no moon roof no apparent mods (other than a strange radiator) it is a salvage title and has a been totaled ( I still dont know the story on that but I have the original owners phone #)

In the future I want to switch carbs (maybe I heard a few people that speak rather highly of the 1bbl)

So I guess the original question. Where can I get the gaskets for the Carter/weber?

Thanks USMB

Joshua

Hey Josh, its Russ. As for getting the gaskets, you mght be able to get like a roll of gasket paper and use the old gaskets and make your own. The other place would probably be the dealership but they can sometimes cost a little $$$. As for doing the conversion from a Carter Weber to a Hitachi, you'll need the carb of course, the manifold, and a vacuum diagram even though it is pretty straight forward. You can usually pick up a manifold and a carb from a yard for pretty reasonable. I think Andrew might have the carb and the manifold. Either that or your buddy with the wagon with no top could hook you up because that might be a Hitachi. Hope this helps a bit. I also have a timing light and we could get together up at Andrew's house one of these days and I can get it timed just right for ya.

Oh the smoke, was it a blue color or was it white? If it was white, its a coolant leak problem somewhere but if it had a bluish tint to it, that'll be oil burning.

Cool Idea on the rollup gasket paper. I'll check the dealer first and see how much $$$ they want to squeeze me for.

Conversion isn't my top priority but I am glad to know that its fairly straight forward. I think I have the vacuum diagram.

I am more concerned about my tranny/clutch right now =)

I would love to learn how to time a car! Andrew doesnt really think we need it but I would love to try it out and see how its done so i can do it later in life.

Where does your light hook up to the car? I hear there are two types?

And yes, the smoke was white.

Thanks Russ.

Talk to you guys soon.

hey I have andrews number but not yours Email me and lets exchange numbers

Geck512@yahoo.com

well I can't think of the two types off the top of my head right now but the timing light hooks up to:

1. The positive on the battery

2. The negative on the battery

3. Around the #1 sparkplug wire

So the white smoke inicates it has a coolant leak somewhere. We can diagnois that problem later. You mentioned tranny and clutch. Whats going on with it? What are the symptoms or problems you're having? Anyways, I'll email you my number later but now, I'm gonna go to bed....its been a long day

Types of timing lights:

Inductive, and Conductive.

Inductive is powered by the magnetic field surrounding the spark plug wire (actually, by the expanding and collapsing of said field). This is why it needs the external power source (battery), in order to power the bulb itself, and the circuit that "senses" the field on the wire.

Conductive just hooks in parrallel with the spark plug - one wire goes to ground, and the other connects to the plug wire. The current that fires the plug, also lights the lamp. Very simple. In fact, you could build one yourself with a couple wires, and a 12v lamp.....

GD

did I say white? I meant blue... I think. DOH! Now I cant remember because I read what I wrote. I will have to think about it Russ. The tranny works great for the most part. If I put it in first, parking break on, I can let the clutch out about half way before it starts to die. Which tells me the clutch is strong. But it doesnt like third. Maybe I am just a sloppy shifter but it tries to throw the stick out of third sometimes, it prefers me to be really clean (holding clutch deep pushing and holding stickshift deep into third while releasing clutch.) might not be such a problem since I know the fix =) Tranny fluid looked okay but I will check it again. I was having to average two slanted readings (one uphill one down HA!)

Let me know.

Hey Russ/andrew since russ is closer could we meet for the timing light at russ's house? Or would after my work at andrews be better for you two?

Joshua