Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 subaru brat GL need help on changing oil

hey i was wondering about changing my trannsmission oil and rear differential oil in my 1984 subaru Brat GL. and in my owners manual it says to use 80w or 85w or 90 depending on the temperature, but im confused because it says the transmission and differential takes the same kind. if you could verify if that sounds right, that would be great, i dont want my brat screwed up by a mistake, thanks!

but when i get on autozones website i will enter my car and search for oil suitable for the transmission and it just comes up with ATF oil, not the oil that is specified in the manual?

Autozone is wrong.

It's not a magical know all auto guru.

It's just a database that's been entered in by somebody....and they made a mistake.

Gear oil goes in manual transmissions.

Ussually

I've seen some fords that spec ATF.

I even had an 83 honda civic that spec'd 10w40 engine oil!!! I could not believe it when I read it in the owners manual. Sold that car when the tranny blew up....go figure.

Ussually

I've seen some fords that spec ATF.

I even had an 83 honda civic that spec'd 10w40 engine oil!!! I could not believe it when I read it in the owners manual. Sold that car when the tranny blew up....go figure.

LOL! You know what's funny? I had it typed in there about the fox-body mustangs I heard that ran ATF but I took it out because I couldn't remember the specifics. I do know that a couple people I know personally had those mustangs with ATF in the gearbox from the factory (It shifts so smooth!) but the trannys all wound up grenading. hahaha

Assuming the car is an automatic, the trans takes ATF dextron II/III, BUT, there is a front differential tat takes regular gear oil. A lot of AT failures can be blamed on the wrong or no fluid in the front diff. Be aware that there are 2 dipsticks and 2 drainplugs on all subaru auto trans.

manual trans just takes straight up gear oil as the rear diff would. Manual trans has one drain plug and dip stick.