Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the fuel level is it just based on the float level or does the tank have to have pressure for it to read right? To make a long story short, I replaced both main and sub sensor and the level started to read just above half.. OK.. so I put in 3 gal worth because something did not feel "right" as I was driving I noticed the level going up a little more.. and by the time it settled it was around 3/4 SO i drove more and more and now I was 60 miles in on 3 gal and I was like that can't be right.. So I went to the fuel station to get fuel and put in a full tank which took 10 Gal So it's obvious the level is still not reading right..

Any clues on what could be the issue now?

Also I want to point out I did not replace the gasket on it.

Edited by 1-3-2-4

I knew the sub sensor was bad so I ended up replacing both I forgot what is listed for what should be a full tank.. a few megaohms or so the old one would stay at zero. I haven't ruled out the fuel gauge contacts yet but I will wait until morning to do more checking..

As I will be taking out the main fuel sender to replace the gasket I can double check to make sure the float is not hung up, it went in kinda funny more so then normal as in acting like it did not want to be pushed down over the studs.. If it does happen to be a bad gauge I do have a whole replacement cluster from my 95 legacy I used to have.

The back of the fuel gauge reads +/- and F pretty much explanatory.

Edited by 1-3-2-4

The sensor pots are in series with each other I believe and I don't think the total resistance should be anywhere near the megohm area. I would think possibly a few k ohms at best. If one of the sensors is reading in the megohm  area I would check that one for a contact problem. Compare the readings of each sensor. I don't think they are the same but I think there are fairly close in readings.