Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Someone steer me the right way...80 brat

Just traded a sweet 84 go for a not so sweet 80 brat, and I never needed anything for the gl, but this brat needs some stuff

First

I don't really know what it is, isn't there an 80 gl, and dl??, and how do I id the motor, whether its 1.6 or 1.8. As far as it looks, it's the og engine.

Second, I went to a local parts store, and the guy said it probably had the 1.6. And he said that a kit to start overhaulingthat motor was 500 bucks, and included pistons,but no timing. Can someone fill me in on a good parts source online, does it really cost that much to rebuild??

A 1600 will have a turquoise color valve cover...I think..I do know its a different color  than a 1800.But on a 1600 set up the starter is on top of the bell housing ,where a 1800 is off to the side say 200pm....I have never had a rebuilt engine yet.. i have always had good luck just finding a good used 1600 engine(take a compression check) and re-seal it ,re do the oil pump,ect.I call it a "full monty"...and they usually will last for years and cost less too.. The cool thing about the 1600 is with a good Hitachi??sp carb you WILL get great gas mileage.Way better than a 1800..As far as parts I prefer NAPA but they all should be able to get parts for you.Have fun with it.My first Subaru was a 1980 brat .It lasted through me,then my son and then it went to his friend.It finally rusted out. Yours should last for years to come .....C ya,Todd,OSF 

Edited by old sub freak

Thanks for reply, I don't want to sound ungrateful for your info, but you do realize you just referred me to napa for subaru brat parts. They have engine stuff, but hardly anything else. Even if you wanted cv driveshafts, the only thing they have is the boot. Very little stuff here, and I'd play hell getting some taillightsor a mirror.

So does anyone have a good source for brat parts???

Boy, the napa up here has ANYTHING mechinacal for any subaru.Might have to wait for a day or so,but no big deal..Now body parts..,..Thats a different story,you will have to snoop around some,put a add on craigs for "want subaru brat parts"....Anyway have fun with it.Like I said it should last for years with basic maintence..C ya,OSF 

IMHO I wouldn't use napa, from personal experience napa parts for an 80 subaru sucks. Rockauto.com is a great place for parts but make sure to double check part numbers with amazon or any other auto parts dealer. Engine ID is on front left hand side of engine it will either say ea71 or ea81 ea71 is the 1600 and ea81 is the 1800.

My ea71 has blue valve covers ;)

Edited by mikaleda

If i'm making a mistake, correct me, but i think all brats has EA81 engine(1800)

The best and faster way to check so is the starter, 1600 is in top ( in the middle like 12 o clock) and if it is 1800 you have the starter on the right side looking from the front.

Valve covers are in a clear colour in 1600 engines.

Based on what I have read so far, 1980 was the last production year of the 1st gen BRAT. In that year both 1600cc and 1800cc was available, still a 1800 1 gen BRAT is rare.

2 trim levels GL (4 headlight) and DL (2 headlights).

If you can put pictures, we can help.

You should not have to split the case or overhaul any internals as they wear for a long time and you will find that it has the crosshatches with high miles.

Oil consumption will be related to bad PCV system or old seals . You likely have a 1.8 ea81.

Don not confuse 1.8 parts at the parts counter since ea81 and ea82 engines overlapped in production from 85-89, with brat thru 87. To be sure, order for 81-84 listings only.

nomenclature for the parts counter will be "1.8 OHV ea81" with OHV being the emphasis. Anything with "1.8 OHC" will be ea82's from 85-94

you will find that the parts counter may have listings for 80-84 which is relative to ea81 wagon and sedan. 80-87 will be specific to brats, and 80-89 will be specific to hatch, a;though all of these platforms share the same parts, with the hatch having the ea71 option.

any listings that are 85-94, 85-89, and 90-94 will be relative to ea82's