Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replacing front rotors 02 obw anti-lock

hi, would like to replace front right rotor - shoulda had the shop do it, but cheaped out... apparently caliper stuck, inner pad wore to metal. he did pads and a bracket - but let me cheap out on new or cut rotors.  now i have a vibration.  i may take it back, but for diy, does the abs present any difficulty?  thanks...

abs won't matter for brake jobs, it's all the same.

highly likely the bushings on the caliper pins swelled and seized in the bore, seizing the caliper in place against the rotor where it wears and gradually gets pushed more and more into the rotor every time you brake, but isn't allowed to pull back off.

i remove those bushings on every 2000+ Subaru I come across, they cause a lot of problems and aren't necessary.  but as a disclaimer i'll say you shouldn't do that or it's for offroad use only, it's entirely unsafe and you'll probably wreck.

thanks for the advice to not remove the unneccesary bushings... after all, this is just our rally-x car...  really, she had me put skid plates on the family wagon!  well, it's back at the shop that did the pads, so i'll let him finish the job that will never get done by me.