Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rear Camshaft Seals

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sangerboy

Sangerboy

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Ventura County

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

I've pulled the engine on my '95 Legacy Outback (2.2 liter) due to some overheating and coolant loss issues (302 K miles so far), also looked for an oil leak that has plagued me for a bit and found that the rear camshaft oil seals were leaking. The right head has a cover plate and o-ring which is no problem and shows up on the diagram, the left head appears to have a 1 piece press in seal that I cannot find on a parts diagram to order. Anyone have a part # for this seal or does it come in a kit? My family says it's time to let the car go but it still runs so good and is so easy to work on that I just keep fixing it. Thanks for any help, Greg

Edited by Sangerboy, 26 March 2013 - 07:55 AM.

#2 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,218 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

is the driver side head leaking from the rear seal. i have never heard of this.?

if it is not leaking i would leave it alone.

if you cannot not find it in link below you will have to ask the dealer parts guy.

and the dealer, online or local, is probably going to be the only source for the part anyway.

http://opposedforces...illustration_1/

Edited by johnceggleston, 26 March 2013 - 08:34 AM.

#3 Sangerboy

Sangerboy

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Ventura County

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

That's it, perfect!! Part #6 on the diagram. Labeled simply as "plug", part #807045040. Thank you very much for your help. I'll go by my local dealer and get it ordered. Considering that it has been on the car for 17 years and 302,000 miles, I suppose it has earned the right to leak a little. Who knows how many heat cycles it has been through :)

#4 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,926 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

i glue the outside with ultra grey is no preshure behind it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users