Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Converting ej22 from HLA to manual adj lifters/ frankenmotor

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hankosolder2

hankosolder2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 695 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

I've been gathering parts to build a "frankenmotor" - I've got '95 Legacy 2.2 dual port heads with roller rockers and HLAs and will be using a '98 OBW 2.5 block.

I was wondering if there was a way to convert these to manual valve adjustment, but keep the roller rockers.

I gather that the later ej22s with the manual valve adjustment are NOT roller rockers? Is there any way to replace the HLAs in the roller rocker arms with the adjustment screws?

(In case you're wondering why- I don't want to deal with noisy/sticky HLAs of unknown condition on my junkyard heads, and I like the idea of the lower engine friction of the roller rockers and manual adjustment.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts- Nathan

#2 mikaleda

mikaleda

legacy specialtist

• Members
  • 1,560 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

Their over head cam of course their roller rockers :rolleyes: I think you should learn a little more about how valve systems work, no offense, but roller rockers are for push rod engine to make less friction like over head cam.

Also the 2.2 HLAs are not like they notorious ea82 HLAs they rarely have problems.

Edited by mikaleda, 16 April 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#3 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,412 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

only the 95 ej22 is roller if I remember right, and you can definitely tell a difference on the wear pattern of the cams looking at the two. but the machine work that would most likely have to happen to do this wouldn't be worth it imo

#4 mikaleda

mikaleda

legacy specialtist

• Members
  • 1,560 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

Doh! I feal like a retard now, I'm so used to the roller rockers on a pushrod engine that I didn't even think about over head cam roller rockers, i retract my earlier statement, sorry.

#5 hankosolder2

hankosolder2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 695 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

only the 95 ej22 is roller if I remember right, and you can definitely tell a difference on the wear pattern of the cams looking at the two. but the machine work that would most likely have to happen to do this wouldn't be worth it imo

Yes, I guess you could drill and tap the rocker arms where the HLAs go and put in manual adjusters... you're probably right about the hassle/reward ratio not making it worth the effort. I've got two sets of HLAs, so I can play mix-n-match if some are faulty- I just like the simplicity of manual adjusters, so it's hard to let that go....

#6 cal_look_zero

cal_look_zero

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 612 posts
  • Grass Pants, OR

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

All you have to do is swap the cams and rocker assemblies from a 96+ phase 1 head.

#7 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,403 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

I just like the simplicity of manual adjusters, so it's hard to let that go....

and i like the maintenance free aspect of the HLAs. i know why they changed, but i don't like it.......

#8 hankosolder2

hankosolder2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 695 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

All you have to do is swap the cams and rocker assemblies from a 96+ phase 1 head.

But are the rocker assemblies on the 96+ roller rockers? That's the combo I really want- roller rockers + manual adj lifters.
I'll probably go for Delta camshafts like you did on your Frankenmotor build.  Based on your statement about the need to change the rockers _and_ the camshafts, I'm guessing Delta has different versions for the hyrdo vs solid lifters ...

#9 cal_look_zero

cal_look_zero

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 612 posts
  • Grass Pants, OR

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

But are the rocker assemblies on the 96+ roller rockers? That's the combo I really want- roller rockers + manual adj lifters.
I'll probably go for Delta camshafts like you did on your Frankenmotor build.  Based on your statement about the need to change the rockers _and_ the camshafts, I'm guessing Delta has different versions for the hyrdo vs solid lifters ...

Yup. 95 was the only year for HLAs and roller rockers. After that they went to SLAs.

#10 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,082 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

95 and 96 are rollers with HLA.
You need 97-98 for rollers with SLA. Possibly an early 99 would have the same heads.
Roller rockers, HLA or SLA, are interchangeable on the same roller cam. Roller cam profiles did not change from 95 to 98.
The tappet cam profiles are different to match the tappet rocker shape. You can not mix and match tappet rockers with a roller cam or roller rockers with a tappet cam.

Mikaleda, nearly every overhead cam engine design with rocker arms since the mid 90s uses roller rockers. There are designs without rockers like the DOHC EJ25D heads which are tappet style direct mechanical bucket.

Edited by Fairtax4me, 17 April 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#11 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,505 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

Yup. 95 was the only year for HLAs and roller rockers. After that they went to SLAs.

Nope.

I;ve got a set of 96 phase II, single port EJ22 here.  They are Roller, and HLA.

Honestly, the only roller follwer, solid adjuster setup I've seen to fit these heads was on a JDM 2.0 NA motor I got in a Legacy.  Got those on my 2.2 right now :)

I've heard people say that late ones are roller and solid maybe 97+?  Definately after 99 but those are phase II engines totally different heads.

#12 mikaleda

mikaleda

legacy specialtist

• Members
  • 1,560 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

Mikaleda, nearly every overhead cam engine design since the mid 90s uses roller rockers.

Cool thank you for that info. I don't know why I was thinking all ohc engines had roller rockers.

Edited by mikaleda, 17 April 2013 - 10:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users