Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 subaru gl wagon - timing broke

One of the reasons i bougth the subbie is because it's a non interference engine.

I think i had a leak at teh power steering reservoir that leaked into the timing area, and ate up the timing belt teeth.

I was going to follow the guide here and change the timing belt but i was short on time and feeling lazy so i took it to a mechanic.

He called me later and said that it's kicking oil i guess back up through the intake and he thinks a valve is bent?

Is it more likely he has the timing set wrong or something?   I thinki also noticed the bottom of the motor had oil

but it could be P.S.fluid, i'm not sure. 

So  based on what i've said, what do you guys think?

he piut the belts on upside down. tell him to ratate the crank 360 degrees after installing the first belt abd before installing the second belt. common mistake.

Remind the mechanic that the subaru engine is not an iron duke, small block chevy, or briggs and stratton.

• Like 1

Seriously.... you gotta do the work yourself if you want it done right. Then you know exactly what was done and how to do it. And ALL the satisfaction is FREE! And most times... you can believe yourself.

There's a saying that I like (below, in quotes). It may be hard to understand at first, but you'll get it.

Question: "What's the worst part about not knowing?"

Answer: "Not knowing"

• Like 1

he piut the belts on upside down. tell him to ratate the crank 360 degrees after installing the first belt abd before installing the second belt. common mistake.

Remind the mechanic that the subaru engine is not an iron duke, small block chevy, or briggs and stratton.

Very true...

This happened once to a car in ohio. It went to a mechanic for a 600 dollar bill, bent valves, and sold for 200 bucks. the next guy bought it, and fixed the upside down belt and had a running car with all the work done to it already. It then was swapped to a 4wd, and recently turned up on craigslist in another state almost 10 years later. Twice was it saved from the junkyard.

Same thing happend with an xt6, had for 200 bucks over an 'upside down' timing belt.