Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all -- I have 290K on my transmission and I've been pretty faithful in keeping up my maintenance, just last week had it serviced and now suddenly I have an error.  It came up as a code for the torque converter clutch solenoid.  Hubby took it in and didn't get the code number, but the tech said that it was in the valve body.  Could a piece of dirt from the flush cause the solenoid to stick?  We plan on taking it in to have it diagnosed, I've read that a transmission replacement may be an option at this point.  Thanks

My mechanic is telling me that I have to get the entire valve body and it only comes from the dealer and it's $1200

anyone know of a part number or where I can find JUST the torque converter clutch solenoid aftermarket? 

thanks in advance

I don't know much (read:zilch) about the automatics, but I did a quick Google search. I caught this: http://www.sonnax.com/system/pdfs/151/original/TASC-TIP-09-04.pdf, which talks about the TCC solenoid, how to diagnose 'em, and also notes that they're not available from Subaru without buying the whole auxiliary valve body.

Found some aftermarkets here:http://cobratransmission.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_1210_1212_1223_1232. Don't know how reputable they are.

Edited by the_bard

$1200 plus labor is a lot of money to me. So the torque convertor doesn't go into lock-up mode when cruising. Big deal. You lose a little fuel economy and the engine will cruise at a slightly higher rpm but neither is the end of the world. And if it is a "dirt" problem, driving it for a while may cure the problem.