Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Transmission Trouble

transmission torque converter

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hockeylvr93

hockeylvr93

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • new market md

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

Hi all -- I have 290K on my transmission and I've been pretty faithful in keeping up my maintenance, just last week had it serviced and now suddenly I have an error.  It came up as a code for the torque converter clutch solenoid.  Hubby took it in and didn't get the code number, but the tech said that it was in the valve body.  Could a piece of dirt from the flush cause the solenoid to stick?  We plan on taking it in to have it diagnosed, I've read that a transmission replacement may be an option at this point.  Thanks

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,432 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

If I remember correctly the TCC solenoid is easily replaceable on these. But it's possible there's just a loose or damaged wire.

#3 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,815 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

What year?

90-98 is a bit harder than newer but either is a pretty easy.

#4 hockeylvr93

hockeylvr93

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • new market md

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:03 AM

2005 -- thanks

90-98 that's pretty funny with 290K :)

#5 hockeylvr93

hockeylvr93

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • new market md

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

My mechanic is telling me that I have to get the entire valve body and it only comes from the dealer and it's $1200

anyone know of a part number or where I can find JUST the torque converter clutch solenoid aftermarket? 

thanks in advance

#6 the_bard

the_bard

Upstate NY'er

• Gold Subscribers
  • 937 posts
  • Rexford, NY

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

I don't know much (read:zilch) about the automatics, but I did a quick Google search. I caught this: http://www.sonnax.co...C-TIP-09-04.pdf, which talks about the TCC solenoid, how to diagnose 'em, and also notes that they're not available from Subaru without buying the whole auxiliary valve body.

Found some aftermarkets here:http://cobratransmis..._1212_1223_1232. Don't know how reputable they are.

Edited by the_bard, 03 June 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#7 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • KY

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

$1200 plus labor is a lot of money to me. So the torque convertor doesn't go into lock-up mode when cruising. Big deal. You lose a little fuel economy and the engine will cruise at a slightly higher rpm but neither is the end of the world. And if it is a "dirt" problem, driving it for a while may cure the problem. 

#8 hockeylvr93

hockeylvr93

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • new market md

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

Thanks..that link didn't have my part (of course!!)...I am still checking...just pisses me off I had NO problems before I had my fluids changed 2 weeks ago!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transmission, torque converter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users