Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

99 OBW Driver seat cushion swap out

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,756 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

My 99 OBW driver seat has gone bad. The foam in the seat and side bolster is crushed down pretty flat, and is uncomfortable to sit on.

I scored a nice driver seat from an 00 Subie Leggie GT model from a yard. The seat has electric controls, my existing seat has manual controls. I want to swap only the seat cushions bottom and back units to my existing seat frame. Is this possible?

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,093 posts
  • WV

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

you tear up your seats, you did this once before?
http://www.ultimates...t-sedan-to-obw/

can you do whatever you did that time to this set up too?

looks like a few threads out there about repairing heated seats, those may have some helpful info.

this guy did it with impreza seats:

http://www.rs25.com/...adjustment.html

#3 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,756 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

you tear up your seats, you did this once before?
http://www.ultimates...t-sedan-to-obw/

can you do whatever you did that time to this set up too?

looks like a few threads out there about repairing heated seats, those may have some helpful info.

this guy did it with impreza seats:

http://www.rs25.com/...adjustment.html

Yea, that time, I installed leather seats from a 97 OBW Limited, but didn't take long to find out that the cushion material was bad, though the leather cover is good. So, now I am back trying to rework the original driver's seat with cushions from  a 00 Leggie model. I think the cushions will transfer over. They look about the same size.

#4 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Yes, you might also consider getting the foam from a lightly used passenger side.  They swap across pretty well.

#5 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,756 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

Yes, you might also consider getting the foam from a lightly used passenger side.  They swap across pretty well.

Thanks, good thought!

#6 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,756 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:00 AM

Would buying upholstery foam from a JoAnn Fabric Store work on rebuilding the leather driver's seat on my car?

#7 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,093 posts
  • WV

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

i've seen others reupholster before and i've supplied the material.  don't see why it couldn't be done, you have to get some hog nose or hog ring pliers and hog rings or whatever they're called.  you'll see write ups on taking the covers off in heated seat repair threads, there's a good one on the forester forum.

Gravity Man (steve) has a massive write up on removing it all and installing new foam in his as well too. i believe it's on this forum or subaruxt.com

#8 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,756 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

i've seen others reupholster before and i've supplied the material.  don't see why it couldn't be done, you have to get some hog nose or hog ring pliers and hog rings or whatever they're called.  you'll see write ups on taking the covers off in heated seat repair threads, there's a good one on the forester forum.

Gravity Man (steve) has a massive write up on removing it all and installing new foam in his as well too. i believe it's on this forum or subaruxt.com

Thanks Grossgary. I have a buddy coming over Monday night, who knows what he is doing with the hog ring pliers. He redid my wife's leather OBW driver seat a couple of years back. Between either restuffing my leather driver's seat, or moving the cushions over from an 00 Leggie GT seat, I hope to get a seat that is comfortable to sit on while driving. Thanks for your advise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users