Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy SUS towing. Which hitch?

I recently looked up the tow rating for my 1999 SUS and was supprised to find it is 2k lbs. I was thinking I needed to use my truck to tow my little 16' runabout, but my truck is an extended cab long bed 4x4 and rated to 6k lbs so it's a bit overkill for my 1,190lb boat/trailer/outboard package... I found Class II Hitches made by Curt, Draw Tite and Hidden Hitch. Which one is best? By looks it's Curt or Hidden hitch to me, but I'm more familiar with Reese and Valley hitches for larger trucks.

the ones that go above the muffler look much better.  the ones that go below it hang lower and are more apt to strike objects.

other than that i've never noticed much difference - they're all metal frames that bolt to the bottom of the vehicle.

I think the SUS is an oddball, being that one year/first year Outback sedan right before the body style changed - i seem to recall having issues fitting a hitch to mine, but i can't recall why and I no longer have it.  you may want to find my old thread about it.

Edited by grossgary

I'll have to find out. Drawtite/ Hidden Hitch only lists one hitch for them and it includes SUS. Part # 36234.. I'll probably have to check with Etrailer and see if there is any complications. They seem to know quite a bit about their products