Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95-99 Legacy hitch doesn't fit my legacy?

This hitch came off a Legacy outback but doesn't appear to fit my 1996 LSi sedan. I tried multiple times this morning and can't get it to line up anyway at all.

The vertical bolt on the drivers side is "forward" of the horizontals and moved via a bracket a few inches towards center of the car. kind of bizarre.

Are some hitches OBW/sedan specific? I see many are cross listed as fitting wagons and sedans, so wondering if I'm missing something?

This is the hitch I ended up with that I'm trying to install on my sedan:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98250&highlight=legacy+hitch

Gary:

The one I put on my outback looks nothing like yours. It bolts directly to the frame rails and then laterally to the tow hooks. Now sure where those long bolts are supposed to go and where else is it supposed to bolt on?

As I recall when trying to find a hitch for my 99 Legacy GT Sedan there are hitches that fit OVER the exhaust (like the one pictured) and hitches that fit UNDER the exhaust. Apparently there is a difference in exhaust setup between models(wagon/outback/sedan, etc.) I probably looked at 10 hitches before I found the one to fit my Legacy. Hope this helps.

As I recall when trying to find a hitch for my 99 Legacy GT Sedan there are hitches that fit OVER the exhaust (like the one pictured) and hitches that fit UNDER the exhaust. Apparently there is a difference in exhaust setup between models(wagon/outback/sedan, etc.) I probably looked at 10 hitches before I found the one to fit my Legacy. Hope this helps.

i thought this was because hitch manufacturers make the "under exhaust" style because it'll more easily fit a wider range of models. the tighter they try to make them, the less models and variations they'll fit.

this thing supposedly came off a legacy but that one offset bolt hole makes no sense at all. . the side holes are pretty darn close (if not a perfect fit) for the rear tow hooks though....so who knows.

maybe i can get ahold of subaru360 and see if he recalls what it came off of.

You may be right about the Mfg. But I can tell you for certain that the Subaru factory hitches that went over the exhaust would not fit on my GT.
great, thanks. what year GT and do you know if that hitch was for a sedan or wagon, etc?

looks like this one originally came off a wagon. this one seems extra weird with that angled bracket, i can't picture what that would ever bolt too.

Edited by grossgary

I have a 99 Legacy GT Sedan. I don't think the wagon hitch will mount. IIAC the mount holes are different. I literally tried 10 hitches before I found one that fit. We have a subaru shop here that sells used parts and I spent an afternoon going through their hitches, that is how I found so many to sort through. I THINK you need a sedan specific hitch, which I would imagine are rarer than wagon hitches as wagons tend to be more utilitarian then sedans. I will try to snap a couple of pics of my hitch and post here for you.