Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1989 gl sw dual range grinds going into gears,clutch is good .Did I adjust the cable wrong?

help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 junkmanjason

junkmanjason

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • MAPLE RIDGE BC CANADA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:30 AM

Please I need help!

#2 junkmanjason

junkmanjason

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • MAPLE RIDGE BC CANADA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

It just barely grinds into second some times 3rd .I just don't want to hurt the tranny. Was front wheel drive auto,now dual range 4x4  posi .New seals, belts almost every weird thing done even new metal in the wheel wells . I have 15 inch pug rims .Rear is already lifted . Would a 2 inch front lift work without losing axles all the time ? could I get away with 3 inch ? I just love this car !

#3 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,057 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

cable may be too loose.

#4 junkmanjason

junkmanjason

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • MAPLE RIDGE BC CANADA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

I'll give it another shot ,thanks!

#5 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,443 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

The hill holder cable may need to be adjusted to allow for the clutch cable adjustment. The hill holder cable serves as a clutch return spring when functioning properly

#6 junkmanjason

junkmanjason

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • MAPLE RIDGE BC CANADA

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:22 AM

I never put the hill holder stuff in my Subaru  when I did the build. Thanks for the assistance,that's really cool.

#7 mr sarcastic

mr sarcastic

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:34 AM

Can the clutch cable be adjusted correctly without the hill holder mechanism? I also never put the holder in when I did the trans swap... I can't seem to adjust the cable to bring the friction point low on the clutch, it engages super high.

#8 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,970 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:46 AM

Can the clutch cable be adjusted correctly without the hill holder mechanism? I also never put the holder in when I did the trans swap... I can't seem to adjust the cable to bring the friction point low on the clutch, it engages super high.

The clutch spring from a FWD can be used on a 4WD clutch fork when the Hill-Holder has been removed.

I'm using a throttle return spring off some other vehicle on my '88 Wagon. All that's needed is a spring of proper length, and not a lot of tension when stretched. All the spring is supposed to do is pull the throw-out bearing away from the pressure plate when the clutch is engaged.

#9 mr sarcastic

mr sarcastic

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:53 AM

Gotcha. I have been hearing the throwout bearing rubbing against the pressure plate when my foot is off the clutch. I'll rig up a spring to pull it back....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users