Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FWD switable ?

FWD switchable ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gazelle

gazelle

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • upstate

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

Just bought an '03 Impreza Outback Ts, 2.5 automatic. Had a '97 impreza previously.Owner had rigged up a swtich to go from AWD to FWD though the AWD fuse to improve fuel mileage. I put 80+K miles on it in FWD and maybe 2K in AWD. Encountered no problems. Thought I'd ask for thoughts concerning this mod prior to doing it.Local well respected transmission shop owner said no problem. Thanks for any input !

Edited by gazelle, 17 November 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#2 gazelle

gazelle

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • upstate

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

Ooops ! Didn;t bother to "proof"  my own post...s/b "switchable"

#3 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,609 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

It's bad for the transmission and I see no reason you'd get better fuel mileage.

Whether the center transfer clutches are engaged or not, all the rear end stuff is still turning. The hubs don't disconnect like a truck, so I don't see the point.

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,093 posts
  • WV

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

Outbacks changed the Duty C signal around 2003 - it shouldn't matter if you're just installing a switch for the FWD fuse holder, and often times Imprezas receive changes later than legacy's...but proceed carefully depending how/what you're doing.

There's no point in doing it.  All the rotational elements and weight are still in place so it doesn't improve gas mileage.

I've done it before...though usually for more practical reasons - like a failing driveshaft ujoint.

Probably costs more money in slightly worse tire wear due to having only one driven wheel.

It does cause the Duty C to be powered constantly, putting more "miles" on it, but it probably would be fine.

The better switch to install is a Duty C switch which "locks" the 4WD when you want it....but then there's the 2003 signal change issue to check first.

#5 CNY_Dave

CNY_Dave

03 LL Bean H6

• Members
  • 1,450 posts
  • Near Cortland NY

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

The solenoid switchover can eb checked by putting in the FWD fuse then checking the voltage on the solenoid circuit/pin at the TCU or elswhere.

FWD fuse with +12V to the solenoid = 'old style',    0V to lock-up, +12V to disengage

FWD fuse with     0V to the solenoid = 'new style', 12V to lock-up,     0V to disengage

#6 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,093 posts
  • WV

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

The solenoid switchover can eb checked by putting in the FWD fuse then checking the voltage on the solenoid circuit/pin at the TCU or elswhere.

FWD fuse with +12V to the solenoid = 'old style',    0V to lock-up, +12V to disengage

FWD fuse with     0V to the solenoid = 'new style', 12V to lock-up,     0V to disengage

excellent, thanks Dave!

#7 gazelle

gazelle

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • upstate

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

Thanks to everyone for the reponses. I''ll probably leave well enough alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users