Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Distributor Advance Question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 joemlship

joemlship

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:24 AM

1993 Loyale, SPFI

With the timing set at 20 degrees BTDC the distributor is all the way at the end of it's travel...is that normal? I made sure that the rotor was pointed at the brake booster / cylinder 1 position so I don't think the distributor's off a tooth...

#2 subnz

subnz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Glenorchy New Zealand

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:54 AM

20 degrees sounds excessive but don't know anything about SPFI engines etc.

On my 86 leone (EA82) it was 10 degrees  btdc at idle (breakerless electronic distributor) with vacuum advance hose detatched using timing light ( with carburettor. for 91 fuel)

The vacuum advances/retards  (plate inside distributor moves and centrifical weights advances rotor so advances timing up to 35 degrees ? (from memory) when rev engine with vacuum hose back on.

Can check this with timing light / timing marks?

Never had to touch/replace anything there in the 23 years l had it apart from checking timing (with light) twice.

Engine maybe one crank rotation out of phase for distributor?

Did you move anything? Did you put it back in the same way you took it out?

If moved engine can take no.1 spark plug out and check that no. 1 piston is at TDC corresponding with TDC timing mark, to have engine in phase. then distributor @ no. 1 etc etc.

http://www.ultimates...oblems-on-ea82/

Edited by subnz, 06 December 2013 - 07:08 AM.

#3 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:55 AM

Did you connect the 2 green diagnostic connectors before setting the timing?

#4 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:56 AM

93 in the USA is an SPFI, using an optical-encoder in the distributor and all timing set by the ECU.  Static advance in the 20-25degBTDC is normal.

Edited by NorthWet, 06 December 2013 - 02:57 AM.

#5 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,928 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

Off one tooth or Tb off one tooth

#6 joemlship

joemlship

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

Yeah, I connected the green connectors & made sure the car was warmed up, too. When it warms up a little I'll take the distributor out again and re-install. 

ivans, by "Tb off one tooth" do you mean the throttle body being out of adjustment?

Thanks for the help

Joel

#7 BratRod

BratRod

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • Dallas, Texas

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

Yeah, I connected the green connectors & made sure the car was warmed up, too. When it warms up a little I'll take the distributor out again and re-install.

ivans, by "Tb off one tooth" do you mean the throttle body being out of adjustment?

Thanks for the help

Joel

He means timing belt.

#8 joemlship

joemlship

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:46 AM

Ah, cool, thanks!

#9 joemlship

joemlship

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:09 AM

Just to make sure I don't make a mistake - if the timing belt ended up being off a tooth, would I just have to take the belt off and rotate the cam to the proper position & then put the belt back on? 

#10 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:08 AM

Basic answer is yes.  The engine is non-interference, so no damage will be done when a belt breaks or one gets messed around with.

#11 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,928 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

Timing belt But I think is diss off one tooth If you more it one tooth advance should sitt in middle of adjustment at 18-20 timing

#12 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,064 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

Yeah, take out the bolts, pick it up and rotate it one tooth advanced. set it back down in.

But really as long as the timing is set to 20 with the green connectors in, it doesn't hurt a thing for it to sit at the end of the adjustment.  If you can't actually get it to 20 degrees and locked down, then it needs moved.

I'd probably leave it alone unless you are taking it apart for other reasons, or it's running poor or something.  If all is well then leave it be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users