Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a 94 subaru legacy that in the near feature i want a swap. it has a 2.2 non turbo right now. which subaru motor produces the most torque/horsepower? which would be cost efficient? i was thinking a 2.0 not sure which one though. also from what I've heard its really hard to build a 2.2 non turbo. which motor would you guys prefer for a swap. ps i want it fast.

the 2.0 is going to have less horsepower than the 2.2.

94 is still first generation so there will be some major differences in wiring harnesses - not a lot of options without a bunch of wiring work.

If you want horsepower/torque, maybe you should consider a WRX or something...

Read THIS for starters, and start reading up on the Legacy Central and  NASIOC forums (I wouldn't ask questions on NASIOC 'til you've done a LOT OF READING as they're not too nice over there.) :-)

The EJ20G and EJ22e are both open-deck engines (except for the very early '92-'94?? years on the EJ20G). The cranks and rods are both forged. And EJ20 turbo engines have coated/treated pistons - but still cast. So, the only benefit of the EJ20G is it's designed for boost.

The STi's EJ257 is the most powerful engine. Most cost efficient would be the EJ22T from a '91-'94 turbo Legacy....if you can find one. Most of the EJ20's I've seen aren't cheap on Ebay.

I agree the best option is to save up for a 'real' turbocharged Subaru....and since you want it to be 'fast' you need to plan on upgrading the brakes, tires, suspension, etc. too.

GL,

Td

Edited by wtdash