Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ECU beeping

Greetings all,

Last week for some reason the ECU started beeping after turning off the ignition. There is an aproximate 3 second delay after shutting off the car and then the ECU gives 5 short beeps. I've not made any modifications to the Loyale. I'm the original owner and it has only 107k on the clock, mostly highway. I'm still getting 26-32mpg combined and she runs like a champ. I've yet to check the ECU for any code, but I also don't want to do any harm by not immeditely addressing a potential issue. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

I've never known EA82 ECUs to beep.  You mean it's audibly making a beeping noise??? some turbo models had a RPM alarm, and some XT had speed alarms.......but those were contained in the dash display....not the ECU.

Are you sure it's not coming from an alarm?  Security lockout? stereo?  I know Sony stereos beep when you shut off car....that's why I hate them....one reason.

Anyhow....are you familiar with how to retrieve codes from these ECUs?

Im going to assume a strict understanding that no mods means no mods.

Being a loyale, I assume it has auto seatbelts? When you power up the car or shut it down with the key in the ignition, does the key reminder thing "ding" at you? I've heard my car's "voice box" give a few weak dings before, especially in the cold.

Any way to take video/audio?

Does this "beeping" sound like a chime? Does it start only with the door open and the key removed?

Could then be the cylinder key switch. Two wire connector above the ECU access panel.

Just unplug it.  The switch in my 87 wouldn't reset every time so I just disconnected it.

And I also have  two vehicles with the Sony stereos that "beep" after turning off the ignition.

Thank you one and all.

As it turns out as I was about to pull the panel to get at the ECU to pull a code(if it were to give a code) I tried to re-create the condition. Lo and behold, it's the stereo head unit making the audible beeping. It's not a Sony but a Pioneer, and yes, it's a faceplate warning. I must have altered the setting when adjusting the clock. I feel like such a dope.

Thank you once again everyone.

• Like 1