Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a 1999 Legacy, I believe: 2.2L 2212CC H4 FI VIN: EJ22E

I am told I need an 02 sensor and a driver side front ball joint replaced.

How do I know which 02 sensor I need? Will the code tell me since I think there are 2 on the car, right? There are a bunch on here and look very different:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subcategory_oxygen-sensors_16466?isAllVehicle=false&showTitle=&vehicleIdFromReq=41459&vehicleIdSearch=41459

Same thing with the ball joints, I see there are only 3 listed, any recommendations?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&actionSrc=Form&langId=-1&searchTerm=ball+joint&vehicleIdSearch=41459&searchedFrom=header

Looking to do this myself with a mechanic friend - any ideas on hours of labor to do both of these?

Thanks SO MUCH for the help!!!

For the O2 sensor the code will tell you front or rear.  If you have not changed the Front O2 sensor, take a look at the connector behind the air box on the passenger side and see which connector you have.  You should also be able to plug your VIN in a Subaru website and it should give you the correct sensor.

Same for the Ball Joint.  Get some PB Blaster on the ball joint and O2 sensor a week or 2 ahead of time to make it an easier job.

For the ball joint I strongly recommend-

1) Make or borrow the ball-joint removal tool

2) Get the horrid-freight ball-joint tool that presses out tie-rod-ends and ball-joints (pushes on the stud)

3) Heat where the pinch-bolt threads in with an acetylene torch

I did my ball-joint a couple weeks ago- without 1 & 3 I'd still be screwing with it... 2 isn't necessary if you have a pickle-fork (since in this case you don't care if you wreck the boot), there is a wedging alternative to (2) as well.

I scraped out the groove to expose the bolt and the top of the ball joint, the better for freeing oil to penetrate.

My pinch bolt was trashed from corrosion, it's 10x1.25 I believe. I used an 8.8 'grade' from lowes.

Edited by CNY_Dave
  • Like 1

Thanks for that. Snowing badly here, considering bringing it into the shop my friend owns. Can anyone give me a rough estimate on what a "decent" cost would parts/labor for 1 O2 sensor parts/labor and the ball joint parts and labor if I have to go into the shop?

Thanks!