Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have an alternator related question. We installed a new alternator and battery in my 1999 Subaru in August of last year. The car was running fine until I noticed a very strange pungent odor after letting the car warm up yesterday morning. I checked under the hood to see if I could see what the cause might be, didn't see anything obvious. Then today, the electrical inside the car stalled (ie. radio, internal lights) when I was stopped in a parking lot making a phone call. Again, I checked under the hood. Then when I went to start up and drive, the car died, no sound when turning the key. I waited a few minutes thinking I needed to call triple a, then started the car, and it started right up. I have a little voltage meter inside my car that is oscillating between 12 and 13 when it should be up to 14. With the combination of the smell, the low voltage reading and car dying, but starting back up, what do you think? I took the car for its oil change this morning and they think the alternator is bad but didn't see any belt issues. It looks like I will need to replace my alternator.

draw a line across the crank pulley - run car.  if the line separates your crank pulley is failing and the the smell is the rubber ring burning and the low voltage is the outer ring not turning as fast as the crank and therefore low output from alt.

alternaftermarket alternators suck.

www.car-parts.com get a used one (or two)

or Subaru has remanned alts for $60-$70 for 1996 legacys that fit your car.

Edited by grossgary
  • Like 2

Thank you grossgary and Suzam. I have all of the receipts so I will check on whether the alternator was a rebuilt one. My husband is here now so he is going to start trouble shooting. Not his favorite thing to do with my car, so that's why I try to solve things myself when and if I can.

+1 on suspected alternator trouble. Since you bought the alternator back in 8/13, you should have a warranty with the sale. If bought from a car parts store, a counter person will come out to the parking lot with test equipment to test your charging system at no cost. You can easily learn if battery or alternator, or both are bad.

The nice thing, is that swapping in an alternator in a Subie is easy work.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your help. We replaced the alternator, so I am back and running. And yes, the warranty covered the fried alternator and my husband was able to swap the new one in less than an hour. Have a great weekend.

• Like 1