Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Subaru Legacy Outback Security Light

My security light turned on while driving and won't go off...car running or off it keeps blinking. I tried pushing the reset button underneath the dashboard and starting...didn't stop it. Any info I find is for a car with a keyless entry, I don't have that. Also, if I can't get it to go out will it drain my battery overnight? Thanks for any help.

The security module is in the dash to the right of the glove box. If you can find it, just unplug it.

The light itself is an LED and won't drain the battery, but the security module might start doing other things that can cause the battery to drain, like flashing the headlights or parking lights, or flipping the locks all night long.

On our old 98 outback the LED (which was in one of the switch blanks on the dash) was actually a button used for the valet mode.

As I remember, when the engine is running you physically push the LED and it should start acting normally.

Edited by Suzam

THanks for the info/help. I have searched and everything that comes up is for keyless entry cars...I've tried pushing the button under the dashboard while having the key in the on position. That doesn't work. It did go on while I was driving, I don't know how either.

I tried what you said Suzam but the LED is solid plastic, no button, thanks though.