Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

97 Subaru Legacy Outback Security Light

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kasha6

kasha6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • maine

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

My security light turned on while driving and won't go off...car running or off it keeps blinking. I tried pushing the reset button underneath the dashboard and starting...didn't stop it. Any info I find is for a car with a keyless entry, I don't have that. Also, if I can't get it to go out will it drain my battery overnight? Thanks for any help.

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Sooberoo

• Gold Subscribers
  • 10,428 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

The security module is in the dash to the right of the glove box. If you can find it, just unplug it.

The light itself is an LED and won't drain the battery, but the security module might start doing other things that can cause the battery to drain, like flashing the headlights or parking lights, or flipping the locks all night long.

#3 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,432 posts
  • Texas

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

dunno how it could happen while driving but, maybe it's in valet mode? check your manual or dig around at cars101.com for instructions to switch it back to normal.

#4 Suzam

Suzam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,203 posts
  • Wilmington, Delaware

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

On our old 98 outback the LED (which was in one of the switch blanks on the dash) was actually a button used for the valet mode.

As I remember, when the engine is running you physically push the LED and it should start acting normally.

Edited by Suzam, 04 March 2014 - 12:47 PM.

#5 kasha6

kasha6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • maine

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:33 PM

THanks for the info/help. I have searched and everything that comes up is for keyless entry cars...I've tried pushing the button under the dashboard while having the key in the on position. That doesn't work. It did go on while I was driving, I don't know how either.

I tried what you said Suzam but the LED is solid plastic, no button, thanks though.

#6 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,536 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

Subaru Keyless Entry, Security Alarm, Immobilizer Key, Remote Start Systems. Most years and models

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users