Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87.5 XT manual online ?

OK EDIT. would not just be an XT4 manual, it would be part of factory workshop manuals for late 86, early 87 MY87 EA82 powered things

I know there are links about the web to 1988 XT Vortex workshop manuals, but what about the models made in the first half of 1987 with the spider manifolded turbo AWD? The 1988 models began production somewhere in mid 1987 and have minor differences in the ECU and distributor.

I believe that in the USDM  the 1987.5 edition was the last of the XT4 or was it just XT4 turbo replaced by XT6 and NA XT4 still available?

Edited by jono

I've got section 2/3  (engine and transmission) for the 87 model......It covers the Spider intake/Turbo model.  It says "87" but covers the 87.5 updates.  I actually think this was the time they seperated the XT into it's own FSM......previous years it's lumped into the EA82 FSMs.

What is it excactly you need to reference?

I believe that in the USDM  the 1987.5 edition was the last of the XT4 or was it just XT4 turbo replaced by XT6 and NA XT4 still available?

87.5 was the last of the Turbo 4cyl model......and the only turbos to get the Spider intake. (85/86/87 use the "flat" intake....Flapper MAF, 3 plug ECU)

88 they introduced the XT6.....Dropped the Turbo 4cyl.  N/A 4 cyls were still available in both 2wd and 4wd til the end of the production run.

Hi,

the xt had it's own manual set from the start, i have a set of 85 xt manuals   so i could see the wiring differences of  the changes  they made 85-88. 

the 87 does cover the turbo stuff you are asking about,  turbo with spyder intake is the rare setup,,  but the spyder intake on NA motors was used in 88and 89 xt4.

Hi,

the xt had it's own manual set from the start, i have a set of 85 xt manuals   so i could see the wiring differences of  the changes  they made 85-88. 

the 87 does cover the turbo stuff you are asking about,  turbo with spyder intake is the rare setup,,  but the spyder intake on NA motors was used in 88and 89 xt4.

Hmm.....Well  you could be right about 85.......My 85 FSM doesn't have much XT stuff....but has some.....it's weird.....the 85 FSM is kinduv a mess with typos, editing, and old school crappy wiring diagrahms.  Maybe they produced a supplement for the XT?

My 85 parts catalog has all EA82s  toghether as well  (and not any EA81 stuff)

86 FSM definately has both lumped in toghether.

Shows a picture of the XT on the cover.  And has complete seperate sections in body and wiring that covers all XT stuff.

87 starts the seperate, Red colored, FSMs for XTs.

Aha, thanks for fast responses guys - skishop - I see in your signature - now - that you have an 87.5. Should adjust my sig :)

I have the two blue folders of the 85,86 MY and it has quite a lot of XT stuff scattred throughout, but of course is too old to feature the 87.5 spider turbo.

What I'd like is a copy of the diagnostic process of likely 2.7 - like the testing of the air flow meter, TPS, the chart and pinouts of the ECU for correct reference just in case something goes awry with my 87.5. The distributor is a different part number between early half of 1987 make dates compared to later half 87 make dates as they are the 88 MY. The ECU is also a different part number. I'm told by a reliable source that the wiring between th ECU and distributor is different - two wires interswapped ?

I have a download pdf from an 88 Vortex manual found in the download section of ausubaru.com

"87.5 was the last of the Turbo 4cyl model......and the only turbos to get the Spider intake. (85/86/87 use the "flat" intake....Flapper MAF, 3 plug ECU)

88 they introduced the XT6.....Dropped the Turbo 4cyl.  N/A 4 cyls were still available in both 2wd and 4wd til the end of the production run."   quoting Gloyale above

Here in Australia , we continued to get the turbo EA82T Vortices into 1989 but never got the XT6 :(

The turbo AWD XT in 1987 was priced at $34,400,  twice the cost of a most basic General Motors Holden 4 door passenger car equipped with the Nissan 3.0 litre I6 turbo @ $17,100. The XT or the RX ~ $22,995 !, GLTA did not sell very fast and came with incentives for the sales guys something like 4000 points for an RX or GLTA and 8000 points for an XT sale. I recently met an old guy who sold four in a month and earned himself a trip to Japan to tour the factory where he watched XT6 production!

Edited by jono

AI'm told by a reliable source that the wiring between th ECU and distributor is different - two wires interswapped ?

Yeah......the Reference voltage and signal voltage pins are swapped at the ECU.

You can interchange 87 ECUs with later ones by swapping those 2 pins......easier to do at the Disty connector rather than the ECU.....

There is a separate FSM for the XT that covers the 87.5. I luckily happened across when in an XT I bought. Since I have an 87.5, it was gold to me. Has come in handy more than once.

Mine Covers all the Spider Turbo and other cahnges for the 87.5......but just says 87 on the cover.  Printed Feb of 87.

What I'd like is a copy of the diagnostic process of likely 2.7 - like the testing of the air flow meter, TPS, the chart and pinouts of the ECU for correct reference just in case something goes awry with my 87.5.

Well you don't want 2.7 stuff......it's all different.

This model.....the spider intake Turbo 4cyl.........is basically the same as any 88 turbo......the main connectors at the engine use a different connector, a few different colors wires but basically the operation is just the same......especially I would think in Aus....since you got more spider intake turbo models.

For us.....the differences between 87.5 turbo, and 88 turbos in wagons/sedans, is a TPS that is physically different.....alough reads in all the same ranges........and the IAC....which is mounted on the Thermo cap on "Flat" intakes.......and below the runners on spiders.......again physically different, but operates the same. 

Electrical troubleshooting would be the same with the exception of those few wire colors and device locations.

Well you don't want 2.7 stuff......it's all different.

LOL, that tossed me a curve ball too - i think he meant "Section 2.7" in the FSM, not the 2.7 liter ER27 from the XT6. 

Thanks Gloyale, I've got an 87.5 XT Turbo with issues i've had for years.  are you of the mindset that a 1987 XT FSM would accurately tell the wiring diagram for a 1987.5 XT Turbo? 

I've had a heck of a time being certain I'm tracing and diagnosing right with all the different wiring diagrams, changes from 86/87/88, connectors. I'll be digging into it again now that it's warming up.

I Know the book I have clearly lists info, pictures, specs, flowcharts for the Spider intake with and without turbo setups.  I only have section 2 and 3 (one book)

It's got detail on the setup with the Hotwire MAF/4 plug ECU setup w/ 4 wire single connector TPS (vs. double 3 wire connectors on "flat" intakes of same year)

Wish I still had a scanner that worked and more time.......but if any info is specifically needed I can try lookin stuff up.

I Know the book I have clearly lists info, pictures, specs, flowcharts for the Spider intake with and without turbo setups.

Is that the red 87 XT FSM or a diffferent one?  I have an 87 and 88 XT FSM, so maybe I have the right one.

Thanks for all the good info in here, that's going to help me in a bit.

As Gloyale stated, it is the 87 XT manual. I wasn't clear when I said what I said meaning the XT FSM for 87 covers the 87.5 intake, schematics and tests. I'd have to dig mine out, but I remember it having 3 separate books. Any XT manual for 87 printed after 8/87 will have the correct info included for 87.5 but I don't remember offhand if it's in one section or scattered. Mine are buried in the back shop behind all of my bathroom remodel supplies. If it's uber critical, I can dig them out.

Here's what I got.

They show clearly the wiring connectors specific to the Spider intake w/ all the odd ball 87 connectors.......Disty, Engine, TPS are all different connectors and pins. 87 only.

From the 87 model year Manual

print date Feb. 87.

IMG_0959_zps9d2b7be8.jpg

IMG_0960_zps4fc0cfbf.jpg

IMG_0961_zpsf5e78162.jpg

IMG_0962_zpsa5409f37.jpg

IMG_0963_zps0d925374.jpg

IMG_0964_zps0f45bedc.jpg

IMG_0965_zps345b4992.jpg

IMG_0966_zps29405bc3.jpg

IMG_0967_zps289b3407.jpg

Great stuff, thankyou :)

I have tried right click and copy file - got no idea where it went. Another right click function was save file and she downloaded the images to my desktop, so from there, picasa should help, then maybe I'll try printing off.

We have matching finger nails too. Come to think about it, so too did the girl at the dominant pizza joint last month :(