Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Stumbling on take-off.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sandrion

Sandrion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Grover, North Carolina

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

My 1993 2wd Loyale with a 3eat, stumbles/surges on takeoff, from my driveway, a stop light or any other time I am stopped.  It acts like I am patting the gas pedal (if the pedal was super responsive)

It only happens when I lightly press the gas, as in... I just want to drive the car, not floor it and race from A to B.  I can drop the hammer and it doesnt stumble, but who wants to drive like that?

I have a clean fuel pump, that pumps great, no obstructions. And im pretty sure I am getting good fuel pressure. Any ideas? Throttle postioning sensor? Something else?

#2 djellum

djellum

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 613 posts
  • Vancouver WA

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:17 AM

my first thought would be basic tune up stuff like cap/rotor/plugs/wires.  other than that I would probably start by checking for a vacuum leak.

#3 Sandrion

Sandrion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Grover, North Carolina

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:55 AM

Just replaced the wires, plugs, rotor and cap 10,000 miles ago. Vacuum leaks I could see, most all of the tubing is getting less flexible and all the vacuum tees and such are getting dry and brittle. Any other guesses?

#4 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

Try replacing the coolant temperature sensor that screws into the radiator and also the pcv valve.

Edited by scoobiedubie, 09 April 2014 - 11:43 AM.

#5 Discombobulated

Discombobulated

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Thornton, CO

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:31 PM

Isn't the cts on the manifold and the fan sensor on the rad? Kinda sorta have the same thing going on but just a little tiny lag before it pics up from a stop, I would like to know what you find:) I have done all the tune up stuff also and it just seems to be missing a little off the line:) we all know it's not a race car but it feels like a bog more than a power thing if that makes sense.

#6 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

Exhaust leaks also can cause stumbling problems on a turbo model. The fan sensor, is a coolant temperature sensor/switch. The only thing that it can sense is temperature of the coolant and the radiator that it attaches to. They tend to come apart real easily, for some reason.

#7 l75eya

l75eya

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

Is your timing spot on?

#8 tizzle

tizzle

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 606 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

I just started a post about a similar issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users