Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Rear e-brake solution

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_taprackready_*

Guest_taprackready_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2004 - 12:48 PM

Has anybody thought of using a driveline e-brake like the factory Toyota Landcruiser. They use a drum brake system but a small motorcycle rotor and caliper setup would work fine.

Then to eliminate the front e-brake, could you use a set of rear calipers on the front?

Bill

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,180 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 04 May 2004 - 12:53 PM

i think the rear caliper idea would work if you made a custom bracket for the mount.

if there was a way to mount legacy rear parts o the soob, the legacy has a system the same as the front, but the cables go back to the rear, and the way it connects to the lever itself.

as far as fabbing goes, i think legacy calipers would be the best bet, with xt6 rotors.

#3 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 04 May 2004 - 01:21 PM

No Fox, the Legacy uses a shoe type parking brake inside of the rotor for the rear disc brake. I have looked at alot of rear parking brake setups and so far, the only one that comes close is an early Toyota Supra rear brake system. I have that system that I removed from and old Supra. I need to check and see if the holes in the mounting plate need to be re-drilled to mount on the Subaru rear swing arm. The rear caliper is the same as the rear calpier on the Subaru rear disc brake setup. Then I will have to see how to route the cables up to the parking brake handle. I'll probably have to use the Toyota handle since the EA seris Subaru system pulls the wrong way.

#4 XSNRG

XSNRG

• Members
  • 3,657 posts
  • Olympia

Posted 04 May 2004 - 09:17 PM

Has anybody tried using a front caliper off a '82 with the solid rotors on the rear?

#5 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 05 May 2004 - 07:08 AM

Nope, I haven't looked at them, but they would have to have the same bolt pattern as the current rear calipers to bolt to the backing plate. Then it would just be a matter of figuring out the cable runs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users