Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear e-brake solution

Guest taprackready

Guest taprackready

Has anybody thought of using a driveline e-brake like the factory Toyota Landcruiser. They use a drum brake system but a small motorcycle rotor and caliper setup would work fine.

Then to eliminate the front e-brake, could you use a set of rear calipers on the front?

Bill

i think the rear caliper idea would work if you made a custom bracket for the mount.

if there was a way to mount legacy rear parts o the soob, the legacy has a system the same as the front, but the cables go back to the rear, and the way it connects to the lever itself.

as far as fabbing goes, i think legacy calipers would be the best bet, with xt6 rotors.

No Fox, the Legacy uses a shoe type parking brake inside of the rotor for the rear disc brake. I have looked at alot of rear parking brake setups and so far, the only one that comes close is an early Toyota Supra rear brake system. I have that system that I removed from and old Supra. I need to check and see if the holes in the mounting plate need to be re-drilled to mount on the Subaru rear swing arm. The rear caliper is the same as the rear calpier on the Subaru rear disc brake setup. Then I will have to see how to route the cables up to the parking brake handle. I'll probably have to use the Toyota handle since the EA seris Subaru system pulls the wrong way.

Nope, I haven't looked at them, but they would have to have the same bolt pattern as the current rear calipers to bolt to the backing plate. Then it would just be a matter of figuring out the cable runs.