Ultimate Subaru Message Board

steering knuckle broke while trying to get wheel bearing out

so this mechanic I took my 96 OB steering knuckle to tried pushing the bearing out and broke the arms (tie rod/ball joint) off the thing

Great....!

I was trying to look online at Subaru parts places to see what knuckles are compatible

seems they don't even sell new ones (would be ungodly expensive I suppose)

I have a 97 legacy 4door parts car...would that be the same knuckle as the 96 OB wagon?

Edited by bgambino

Legacy, Impreza, forester of that era all use the same front knuckle. All trims and sub models. (Outback, Outback sport, etc.

95-99 anything should work.

Check opposedforces.com for specific interchange.

I would not be comfortable having that mechanic do any more work to the car. It's not rocket science that the knuckle has to be supported to press the bearing out. In a way you're lucky it broke, because the knuckle would have deformed and caused other problems had he actually been able to remove and replace the bearing.

Don't bother replacing the bearing in the other knuckle. Just swap the whole knuckle/hub assembly.

Edited by Fairtax4me

I actually paid the local dealer to press the old one out and new one in. Was worth it to me because I feared killing the knuckle hacking at it myself.

My dealer has a special tool where they can do it one the car or off. I'm sure plenty of Subaru dealers have it too.

Plenty out there for you. You'll be all set soon. Good luck.