Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New carpet

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blindrummer

blindrummer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Vermont

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

I would like to replace my carpet in my 2006 outback 172,000 miles ;)
The fitted carpets are too pricey
Just wondering if anyone has any tips on type of carpets I could use, and techniques
I'm not looking for a factory finish, just fresh shag
I replaced the carpet on a van I had years ago
It was a cinch, cut to fit, spray adhesive, molded nicely, not as many contours as my car
Any thoughts appreciated

#2 Hinano

Hinano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Hawaii

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:42 PM

Is it just dirty or all torn up? You could power wash it if it's just dirt. You will be amazed what scrubbing and cheap power wash or even hose can do :)

#3 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,503 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

several options if the carpet does not have holes,

remove the front seats and use a hand held shampooer,

or remove it entirely and take it to a car wash and use the power spray option,

or my favorite,

remove it,

buy the largest plastic storage tub you can find,

buy 5 - 8 bottles of black RITZ dye,

fold up the carpet and put it ans the dye with enough water to cover in the tub.

you will likely have to remove the carpet after a day, refold and then resoak for a day.

mine looked a little splotchy, tie-dyed, after the first day,

but much better after the refold and re-soak.

although a little splotchy still.

but once installed you can't tell.

(tip: do not pour out the dye batch until you have the carpet installed. i also dyed some floor mats.)

if the carpet has holes,

buy a used one and clean and or dye it.

works great.

Edited by johnceggleston, 03 May 2014 - 02:37 PM.

#4 cascadeclimbn

cascadeclimbn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Olympia, WA

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

Not to hijack this thread but Im also thinking about doing something with my carpet b/c it's filthy with stains, dog hair, dirt and also ripped up quite a bit...anyone ever just taken the carpet out completely and "rhino lined" the floors? Ive heard of people doing this in Jeeps; wondering what the outcome would be in a subie.

And to add to this thread...ive been to junk yards and seen parts cars with really nice carpet so maybe check your local scrap yards for your exact vehicle and see what the interior looks like.

#5 jarl

jarl

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 549 posts
  • Ann Arbor area

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

Not to hijack this thread but Im also thinking about doing something with my carpet b/c it's filthy with stains, dog hair, dirt and also ripped up quite a bit...anyone ever just taken the carpet out completely and "rhino lined" the floors? Ive heard of people doing this in Jeeps; wondering what the outcome would be in a subie.

And to add to this thread...ive been to junk yards and seen parts cars with really nice carpet so maybe check your local scrap yards for your exact vehicle and see what the interior looks like.

The outcome will probably be insane amounts of noise :) The heavy padding underneath the carpet is there for a reason...

What I did on my OBW was to wait until a parts car showed up on Craigslist and just replace the whole thing. Usually the cars at the junkyards have had a rough time right before they get there, while I have found some nice stuff on craigslist (or on the ads section of forums like this one). On a minivan I had before I had to replace the headliner and the carpet and spray the whole interior with Odoban (the car belonged to a smoker at some point in it's life). It takes some time to do things correctly, but once you are done you won't regret it.

#6 blindrummer

blindrummer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Vermont

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

Where are the bolts for the rear seats?

#7 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 3,234 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:11 AM

On most Subaru's they are under a little carpet flap on the body vertical wall coming up from the pan.  One on each side.

I replace the carpet if it's torn or pull and power wash.  Just make sure you let it dry well before you install it.  It's pretty easy to fine good used carpet at the Self Serve yards.

Pull the Seats, the counsel and trim panels and you have the carpet out and cheap.  $30 or so.

#8 blindrummer

blindrummer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Vermont

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:55 PM

Found some used carpet in much better shape
Changed the seats, carpet , and now I might do the door panels
But now when the car is OFF the clock blinks "ACC" repeatedly then "ERR" once
I forgot to disconnect the battery before taking the seats out