Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 overheat problem

So I been trying to figure out whats going on with my car.

Its an ea82 mpfi turbo wagon.

It starts and runs, and idles smooth.

But when I let it idle for oh say about 3min. Smoke will start coming from under the turbo. Its burning type of smoke. When looking under the car its coming off the exhaust pipes. (No smoke from tail pipe).

My temp guage dont work but when you turn the car off. The cat will start to crackle and pop as its cooling down.

I replaced water pump and thermostat thinking the turbo wasent cooling properly but I dont think its that.

Any help?

First, you should fix your temp gauge.  It will tell you (and us) a lot.  

If it is indeed overheating, then that is the second problem that requires attention.

Smoke off exhaust could be oil leaks, torn axle boots, exhaust leak, clogged cat....

Seriously... I wouldn't drive my vehicle if the temp gauge was not working.

might be just like mine, oil leaking from rocker cover gaskets or that low point of head gasket with the customary oil drizzle over the turbo exhaust that looks like a well baked baking dish finish :). You also have an oil supply line for the turbo, its copper washers and lock nut on the banjo.

Wow, gen3 heads and you punish self with no working temp gauge !!

Get yourself a couple of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-Digital-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Aquarium-/251511389157?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item3a8f3f3be5

working really well in a few of my cars, just add wires, extend the sender wire with basic twin core speaker wire, clamp the sender under something metal on the block...... metal temp unit, not water so you don't have to bust into any water jacket

Edited by jono

Im going to check out the valve cover seals. I need to get a temp sensor but they are pricey. I like that one you posted tho jono

Also I have an aftermarket gauge I might hook up into my heater hose. What one should I tap into for an accurate reading?

As for miles,

Not sure. Previous owner. Changed block. He said the old one had a bad head gasket

Edited by elgigante
  • Like 1

Checked the "cam case" or valve cover seals and they look to be leaking along with the oil pan gasket. Tightened all the bolts up.

Quick question.

On the downpipe is that a catalytic converter along with the mid catalytic converter ?

Checked the "cam case" or valve cover seals and they look to be leaking along with the oil pan gasket. Tightened all the bolts up.

Quick question.

On the downpipe is that a catalytic converter along with the mid catalytic converter ?

They are both catalytic converters.  You don't need the middle one.