Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so ive been chasing my tail on this brat ive been working on. it has no turn signals, high beams, or hazards. intermittently the hazards will flash out of nowhere, even with the ignition off, and the key out of the ignition. the indicator for the high beams lights up on the dash, but the headlights don't work, the low beams do however, I can also hear a relay click when I turn on the switch for the high beams. there are no turn signals at all. there is a silver either relay or flasher on the drivers side behind the dash that gets extremely hot, does not click or anything. and it looks like theres a spot for another, but there is nothing plugged into it.

also, I am having a bear of a time finding a Cyclops switch.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Covering the simple first. What do your fuses/boxes look like. if there's corrosion or if the car was ever really damp/flooded it can play havoc with electrical stuff. Look for old splices to fail too. These issues can be a pain to sort out but at least they aren't expensive. I'd start by going over everything. Clean the battery terminals, check every fuse, follow the wires looking for pinches and splices. Usually the mystery begins to unravel somewhere.

oohoo, when I had a fusible link corrode away at the worst moment, voltage spikes killed many circuits including blowing the filament of the indicator bulbs (because I had my hazards on for a moment) I was chasing this buzzing noise in my 85s indicator switch, checking light bulbs, redoing wires bypassing stuff - only to realise the bulbs I was checking in the rear of sedan were actually the reverse bulbs and not the indicator bulbs in the corner (yes, was laying down new wire from switch to the rear bulbs :) ) , then hard work to get at bulbs in front bumper ....found as I replaced bulbs one by one - all six were gone, the constant buzzing in switch slowed, slowed to a normal tick a tick when last of six bulbs were replaced. The filament had blown and fused to the glass on the inside !