Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

97 Legacy 2.5L aftermarket exhaust and fitment questions

1997 Legacy exhaust EJ25D Outback

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pginter96

pginter96

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Wales Center, NY

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:16 PM

I think my stock headers finally saw their last winter this year. Rusty, exhaust leaks, and sounds like shuffling cards in front of a desk fan. Didnt help that the previous owner only used the car for occasional short trips, Ive heard this could cause the exhaust to rot from the inside out due to condensation and the such. Im currently looking at some UEL headers on ebay. Since im on a high school pre-college budget, im not looking at anything too fancy but I do want the UEL headers for better noise without a tacky obnoxious fart can. I was just wondering if anyone has done UEL headers on a second gen Legacy, and if so what did you use, how much did it cost, and did it require modifications or new cats/resonator pipe. I dont want a full, expensive exhaust system but I wouldnt be surprised if I need a new cat or two.

...or should i just buy some headers, take it to a shop and make it someone elses problem? (But oh, money money...)

Also does anyone have a part number/source of the studs that hold the header to the block? Mine are beyond repair at this point.

#2 pginter96

pginter96

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Wales Center, NY

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

This is what Im looking at. I know its a knock off, but its all Im willing to spend money on. After all, how complicated could a metal pipe be? *rhetorical auestion*

http://www.ebay.com/...5526892?lpid=82

#3 pginter96

pginter96

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Wales Center, NY

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:28 PM

Whats left of my origional headers, and the heat shields that rattle against them at random RPMsAttached File  image.jpg   39.52K   20 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   42.54K   21 downloads

#4 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 3,234 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:35 AM

How's  the reset of the system.

I have lots of good Colorado dual port header pipes.  $60 shipped to a work/business address.

#5 pginter96

pginter96

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Wales Center, NY

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:18 AM

Had a brand new (like not even dirty) axle back when I got in in november. Resonator pipe in decent shape. Cats look good from the outside, have no problems, but dont know how they are internally. Just about every heat shield has rotted loose.
The headers you have are OEM style Im assuming?

Edited by pginter96, 30 May 2014 - 06:25 AM.

#6 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 3,234 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

Yes, Subaru parts

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1997, Legacy, exhaust, EJ25D, Outback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users