Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing the Camber Bolts During an Alignment after a Frontal Collision: Necessary?

Hey all.  2000 legacy 150k M/T here.  It was in a front collision and the camber got screwed up badly, resulting in the destruction of both front tires. 

So I got new tires and brought them to a wheel shop.  They did the alignment and installed the tires for $50 and $30 respectively.  However, the mechanic on deck informed me that they couldn't quite get the camber into the right range (probably due to the impact) and he recommended replacing the camber bolts with some aftermarket ones.  So today I got 2 on the quick for about $45 OTD at O'Reilly's (brand: Moog) and paid the wheel shop another $40 to install the camber bolts and correct the camber. 

However, the mechanic on deck told me that the bolts had not quite solved the problem, and that the car should be driven around for a couple days and brought back for further adjustment (at no charge).

So here's my question to the forum:  Was this the proper course of action or no?  What (if anything) could be causing my camber to be difficult to adjust?

Edit:  To clarify, the first time the alignment was done at the wheel shop, the mechanic told me that the camber was close, but not in parameters.  The consensus seemed to be that I should check the tires for uneven wear after a week or so.  I did this, and found that the new-tire nubs on both sides were more worn on the inner track of the tread, rather than even (as I assume they should be?).  Cheers

Edited by dirty_mech

he may have been referring to some 'performance' camber bolts as opposed to OEM-style replacements. i have seen bolts sold to increase negative camber for (supposedly) 'motorsports' purposes. H&R, Whiteline, Eibach and others may have something that would help but , usually these parts are made for the WRX or STI models.

another option could be camber plates for the strut mount.

It should be noted, these items can sometimes lead to tires rubbing.