Ultimate Subaru Message Board

radiator fan thermoswitch replacement options

Hi everyone,

The electric cooling fan quit running in my 92 loyale. After some trouble shooting, I've determined it to be a faulty thermoswitch, as bypassing it got the fan running again. So I'm looking for a replacement. Are these thermoswitches fairly car specific or pretty standard?

In other words, when I go to the JY this weekend, I am limited to ea82 cars or can I look in other cars?

Thanks in advance!

I used a Hyundai thermoswitch:

Hyundai part number 25360-24000

It runs about 10 Degrees C cooler than the Subaru switch and has the same radiator threading, but you'll need to splice the wires. I'm running 2 electric fans (one off the thermoswitch and one off a relay activated by the thermoswitch) and so far after 3 weeks it all works great!

I highly recommend this part.

Edited by BirdMobile
  • Like 1

Yea it does seem like a thermoswitch from the JY is a crap shoot but isn't almost anything from the JY :D  Most of the switches I see online are in the ball park of ~$50, which is more than I'm hoping to pay. I was hoping that if the thread of plug into the radiator is relatively universal between the subarus, or even other makes for that matter, I could try grabbing one from a newer car where its more likely to be good.

So I am still looking for feedback on whether or not thermoswitches are universal or fairly car specific. The fact that birdmobile got the hyundai switch to fit suggests they are pretty universal...I'd prefer to get one that I don't have to splice wires but at the end of the day I'd rather pay $30 and splice than $50 and not. 

I paid $28 for mine... totally worth it to splice 2 wires, especially considering that it turns on 10 Deg. C cooler.

Yea thats what I'm thinking...So how did you decide on a Hyundai thermoswitch?

Read about the guy with the "Bumblebeast" wagon who posts on this forum using the same switch in his setup. Looked like a good option with no downside... I was replacing my radiator anyway in my rebuild, so figured I had nothing to lose by experimenting.

So far, it keeps my electric fans running properly to the point I've NEVER seen my temp gauge go above the halfway point since the rebuild. Totally happy with the Hyundai switch so far.

• Like 1

Is there a good way of testing the operation of the electric fan. I was having trouble with the engine getting hot when the a/c was on during stop and go driving. I had some things apart and later I didn't have this problem anymore. I had planned to test the sensors and wiring but never got to it.

The fan comes on when the AC is on.

Does your switch get power when you turn your AC to ON?

Sam

A/C relay and Temp switch both supply ground to the fan....not power.......12v+ goes directly to fan from fusebox.

Read about the guy with the "Bumblebeast" wagon who posts on this forum using the same switch in his setup. Looked like a good option with no downside... I was replacing my radiator anyway in my rebuild, so figured I had nothing to lose by experimenting. So far, it keeps my electric fans running properly to the point I've NEVER seen my temp gauge go above the halfway point since the rebuild. Totally happy with the Hyundai switch so far.

Yes, he is Right, the Hyundai ThermoSwitch has been workin' Flawlessly for years on my Subaru "BumbleBeast" as I sated in this writeup:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/125754-easy-guide-on-five-steps-to-twin-electric-fans-swap/

Kind Regards.