Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

05 Outback Control Arm removal

bushings control arm repair

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tdwhite

tdwhite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Glen Allen, Virginia

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

Im working on replacing the bushings on my 05 Outback. At first I had trouble removing the control arm from the ball joint (tried both removing the bolt from the pinch knuckle then a beating to the control arm and removing the cotter pin and trying the same beating with a hammer) but I had no luck.  Then decided I might beable to finish the job by leaving it in. So I disconnected the control arm from everywhere but the ball joint and was able to remove the old torn busing and the metal ring around it.  Now I am having trouble pushing in the new bushing.  Does anyone have any ideas on getting the ball joint out? Im going to take both arms to a shop to get them pushed in. I need to have this done by thursday I will be driving back to college.

#2 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  • KY

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

Use a pickle fork and buy new ball joints because the pickle fork will damage the original ball joints. 

http://www.ehow.com/...all-joints.html

Edited by john in KY, 10 August 2014 - 06:42 PM.

#3 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,085 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:48 PM

I use a 3lb hammer and strike the at side of the control arm where the ball joint stud goes through. 3-4 solid hits usually pops it loose.
It also helps to have a large prybar to help pull the control arm down while you swing the hammer.
Since you have the bushings knocked out of the arm you'll have put it back in place and slide the bolts through to hold it.
The steel sleeve bushings can be a pain to replace without a press, but a vice usually works to push the new ones in.

#4 14D

14D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Arizona

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:52 AM

I've used a 2/3 arm puller on stuck ones before.  Something like this would work even better though.

http://www.harborfre...ator-99849.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users