Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 Outback XT antifreeze smell.

Hi

on my 05 outback xt, every morning after a cold start the cabin smells like antifreeze, if I drive it cold, steam comes

out from under the hood.

once the motor is up to temp no problems at all

any ideas what is causing this?

05 outback XT 2.5

77k mikes

all fluids are good,

Hi

on my 05 outback xt, every morning after a cold start the cabin smells like antifreeze, if I drive it cold, steam comes

out from under the hood.

once the motor is up to temp no problems at all

any ideas what is causing this?

05 outback XT 2.5

77k mikes

all fluids are good,

Hi

Thanks for the comments, I found a small puddle of antifreeze (size of a quater) under a hose located lower engine right side, I took a video of the steam but I cannot tell were it's coming from. The steam only lasts about a minute or so then the motor seems fine.

I had the hose replaced with new clamps and it did nothing, problem came back the next day.

Coolent level is ok.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

if you can't get to a mechanic soon to have the leak found and hoses/parts replaced, you could use a bottle of Subaru Coolant Conditioner, it may slow down or stop a small leak. (not recommended in the system has already had some leak stop installed, that ism do NOT double dose the cooling system with leak stop!)

Mechanic will probably pressure test and change the hose. Small possibility there is a different type of leak involving a crack or pinhole in a more expensive part.

SUBARUcoolingsystemconditionerbottlesSOA

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan