Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '98 OBW with 110k has a strange brake wear problem. I replaced pads and rotors on all four wheels about 5k miles ago. A couple of the old pads had 'crooked' wear on them - one end of the pad was worn off, but the other end was not. I attributed this to the fact that the "ears" the hold the pads in their clips are really tight, and maybe one end bound up, forcing the other end to take the wear. When I replaced the pads, I ground down the "ears" of the new pads so that they can move easily. Now, 5k later, the inside pad at the left front is showing the same wear pattern - the back edge of the pad is halfway worn down, but the front edge is still full thickness. The caliper slides freely on its pins, and both pistons move easily. No brake fluid leaks observed. Any ideas what could cause this?

Northguy,

Stopping feels smooth, no hopping, sqeal, or grinding. The rotor looks to be smooth and wearing evenly. There is, however, a thumping noise that occurs sometimes, but not always. It is usually heard only when going slow, as when slowing to a stop, or pullling into a parking spot.

If it occurs over many miles, I suspect that uneven wear across a brake pad is nothing to worry about and is probably a normal result of how the pad is pressed to the rotor.

However, because you are experiencing noticeable pad wear only 5k mi after your brake job, I wonder if grinding down of the "ears" on the brake pads--to make the pad move more freely in the retaining clips--is to blame.

I got 103,000 mi off the original pads on my '98 OBW without any problems. When I removed the pads, the retaining clips were still holding them very firmly. I think that it what you want. Otherwise, the pad could "drift" into contact with the rotor even without the brakes being applied. That could cause premature and perhaps uneven wear.

My guess is the piece that your caliper bolts on to is bent. This thing ever been in an accident? Maybe the part was machined improperly and has never been right.

My son's Camry has the same problem, not quite as severe tho. The lady that owned it had a blow-out and went off the road.

Tiny

your caliper slide bolts are sticking. on one of the bolts there is a round piece of rubber, is that still there. you can but a seal kit from the dealer that has that piece of rubber on it, its on the parts diagram at the dealer, it goes directly on the caliper slide bolt. i know when i did my brakes last this piece of rubber was cracked and dry rotted. look at your claliper slide bolts after you wipe them down, are they rusty? if so, remove the rust and apply grease. if there was rust on the bolts then there is rust where they mount to the caliper , and that must be cleaned also. now look at wear the ears of the brake pads contact the caliper slide, take a wire brush and clean the metal that the pads slide, and lubricate with grease, install new pads, lubricate the ears, install back on the car, anp pump the pedal. let me know what you find.