Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need a 5 speed trans for my 96 Outback, what years fit?

The trans in the Outback is giving up the ghost, the front bearing is really howling now.  Can anyone tell me what years will fit our 96 2.2 Legacy Outback so when I go boneyarding I can get the right one?  I thought about getting it rebuilt but would rather not put to much into the car cause the rear quarters look like swiss cheese and if I can get it through the winter 1 more year it is time to start looking for a newer car.

Thanks in advance all,   Mark

Keep in mind the replacement trans might have the same issue, so at the very least get a warranty with the trans as most yards will at least warranty the item works or you can swap it out with another one. Also, goes without saying but find something with lower miles to be safe as hopefully the odds will be in your favor. Best bet, if possible, is find a running car (even lot running) and make sure it at least works. These trans aren't horrible, but nothing worse than a wasted weekend to find out it was all for naught.

Edited by Bushwick

you can use any 5 speed manual trans from a 96 - 99 ej25 car.

outbacks 96 - 99 are a perfect match

forester 98 - 99 is also a match

GT 96 - 98 a close second, the speedo will be off a little.

they all have the 4.11 final drive ratio.

GT 96-98; If the speedo is "off", wouldn't that suggest a different final ratio? If all truly 4.11:1, then what's different? I know Ford's T5 trans had interchangeable teeth gears that allowed the gear cog in the trans the speedo cable fed into to be swapped out to the correct rear end final ratio to keep speedometer correct. Is this not possible with Subaru? And still confused how the GT 96-98 (with 4.11's) would connect correctly and give a different road speed? Thanks.

Thanks for the help all !!  Gonna start asking around what kind of cars are in the yards and there is a yard that carrys a ton of Soobs in the next town but is not a pick and pull.  Like Fairtax said I have been putting a synthetic gear oil in it and it does quiet it down a ton, and it is not popping out of gear yet.  If I was the only person driving the car I would just leave it alone, but my wife drives this car to work everyday and you know it will break down when we have  a foot of snow on the ground and she is on the other side of the mountain trying to get home.  

I'll let you all know how I make out today.

Mark

GT 96-98; If the speedo is "off", wouldn't that suggest a different final ratio? If all truly 4.11:1, then what's different? I know Ford's T5 trans had interchangeable teeth gears that allowed the gear cog in the trans the speedo cable fed into to be swapped out to the correct rear end final ratio to keep speedometer correct. Is this not possible with Subaru? And still confused how the GT 96-98 (with 4.11's) would connect correctly and give a different road speed? Thanks.

It throws the speedometer off because it has a different speedometer drive gear, you could split the transmission and change that out and have the speedometer be correct again. But why bother?

Some news.   The trans let loose this morning for Karen on the way to work, she limped it home and still got to work on time.   She said the the trans would not stay in 4 th gear for any period of time.   I called the Soob yard and they want $400.00 and the core for a trans, 3-5 days to get it out of a car.  Local mechanic says he can put it in for $400.00.   The best part of it all is a big chunk of the quarter panel fell off this morning also.   May want to cut my losses on this one.   Maybe I can find something to put the 2.2 into......

Spoke too soon I guess!

$800 is a good chunk of change, but if you need the car for winter, that's not much more than a good set of snow tires.

When considering an engine swap into another car you have to weigh what that car will cost to buy, and what will need to be repaired on it, plus what it will cost to have the engines swapped.

96-99 Outbacks are good candidates for 2.2 swaps when the DOHC 2.5 bites the dust, but you really want to use a 2.2 that has EGR, otherwise the check engine light will always be on.

Yup. If I were you I'd hold onto the car for parts. Search craigslist Allentown, Reading, Lancaster, Philadelphia etc for a 96-99 Outback with a good body with a bad 2.5. usually easily had for $300-$1000. if you're not in a rush.

I've done a few of these swaps and the 2.2 bolts right in and wont give you the head gasket woes.Takes about 4 solid hours for a swap. A little more if it's your first but can be done with basic tools. I have a 96 outback in the garage right now doing the same swap. Do that and you'll have the ideal setup - non rusty outback with a non interference 2.2

Guys,  thanks for all the ads, we really need a manual car, auto's here in the Poconos get the heck torn out of them.   Brakes especially, trans are next on the list.  At least when we are going down some of the hills we can drop down a gear and use the engine as a brake. Going up the hills ya drop down a gear also and the semis are not pushing you to the curb.   The last 3 Soobs were manuals and I would like to get one more.

Weddes Repair in Klecknersville has a bunch of manual cars he would like to sell, some are mechanics specials,  some are ready to go.  I am heading that direction Friday afternoon or Sat. morning to see what Craig has.  Maybe he may take the Outback in trade cause he is always looking for running 2.2 motors. 

Thanks again and I will post how we make out. 

Mark

At least when we are going down some of the hills we can drop down a

gear and use the engine as a brake. Going up the hills ya drop down a

gear also and the semis are not pushing you to the curb.

the same is true of the auto trans as well.

manually shift to 3 or 2 and it will help brake going down hill.

same for going up hill, shif to 3 for more pep, and less chance of the trans ''hunting'' for a gear.

but i understand you want a manual trans car, no problem .

i'm not trying to change your mind.

i'm just pointing out that engine braking is possible with an auto trans as well.

i hope you find a good car.

If you are constantly pulling hills, what kills an auto trans early is: 1. HEAT; 2. Leaving in overdrive. If you install an aftermarket trans cooler with a small fan, the trans will live longer. Pulling steep hills is just like towing, so leaving in "3" will prevent the converter from locking up, thus adding life to the trans. Routine fluid changes are also a must.

It throws the speedometer off because it has a different speedometer drive gear, you could split the transmission and change that out and have the speedometer be correct again. But why bother?

Eh, in the Ford stuff it was a bolt and cover, slip gear off and new on, and you have correct speed. Unless trying to trick someone into thinking your car can do 0-60 in 2 seconds :), always found it annoying and it racks the miles up prematurely on the speedometer (or slows them down). Can be easy to get a ticket if you aren't paying attention.

• 2 weeks later...

All,   We got a new Subby, well new to us, in the garage.  Not quite what I wanted but it is different.   It is a 95 Legacy LS, Auto, sunroof, power all,  2.2 motor.    The neat thing about it is that it has been lifted with the suspension from a 2007 Forester.  It is just a bit taller that the 96 Outback we had.   Car is very tight and has a real sweet ride to it.  A 5 speed would have made it perfect, but beggars can't be chosers.  We got a real great deal on it from a local Subby guy that treated us really good on the price. 

I do have a question though,  since I am keeping the Outback for parts will the front bumper cover from the 96 Outback fit the the 95 without major work?  I do like the fog lights on the Outback and the LS has a place for the switch to be added.  Something different on a different car. 

Thanks all for the help so far, I am sure there will be more questions later........

Mark

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=23111   

Just scroll down, he notes what fits and what fits with alterations.

I really like my 95' L Wagon. It's an auto with the 2.2L as well. I changed all the fluids (trans, rear diff, oil, etc.) to be safe as the mileage was up there and no point "hoping" 180k mile rear diff fluid is "OK". My front struts were replaced supposedly as part of a recall (previous owner said this), and the front sits about 2.5" from tire height to fender lip. Rear with weight squats too much, so installed those 2" spring blocks. Works like a charm and firmed the ride up. How high is yours sitting BTW as I'd like to compare. 

I'd thoroughly look over the rear crossmember. Mine was completely GONE at 177k miles. I mean there were 8" sections that were just GONE. Had to have it towed home. If you don't have any holes in yours yet, I suggest putting axle grease or some other rust and moisture inhibitor allover it, top and bottom. Oil spraying would work too. Salt likes to sit on top and just eat it away. If your Outback has a strong crossmember, hold onto it.

With that said, the EJ22 is a fairly strong runner. We had iced roads the other day (freezing rain) and I was out lighting all 4 tires up and burning the carbon off the valves. Sounded pretty good hearing it run like that :)

EDIT: I forgot, take your REAR sway bar OFF the 96' and stick it on the 95'. It'll make a huge difference in the turns and the rear won't "wag" as much. If you find the car "wandering" too much in the snow, check for cracked/broken end links on the front sway bar.

Edited by Bushwick

You'll need to swap the entire bumper assembly and Grill, not just the cover as the support is shaped slightly different in the grill area. But it's not a huge deal, there are a total of four 17mm headed bolts along the frame rails in the front of the engine bay, two on each side. You can probably pull the wiring out of the outback to run the fog lights if the 95 doesn't have them.

• Like 1

Like bratman said, the whole bumper has to be swapped, along with the grille. But, The bumper cover by itself is more of a pain to swap than to do the whole bumper.

The whole thing pretty much has to come off in order to swap the covers. It's easier to just unbolt the whole thing, and bolt the "new" bumper on.

There are some screws or clips on either side that attach the bumper to the fenders, a couple of screws or clips on the bottom, then the main beam unbolts from the frame by removing the two large bolts on either side under the hood. You may have to remove the battery to get to the bolts on the drivers side, I don't remember exactly. It really doesn't take long to just swap the whole thing though.

Here's a pic of my 96 L with the OB bumper swap done. 1371230184.jpg

Edited by Fairtax4me

great pic fairtax.  That is want I would like to do to ours.  Now that I hear it is not a real big deal, I'll wait for this Noreaster to get through and start taking the Outback apart. 

I also want to thank Bushwick for that interchange link,  It will make things a lot easier when I go junkyarding. 

Last night I put the snow tires on the car and took a few measurments of the ride height.   With the tires that came with the car, 225-60-16 the height is 11" to the bottom of the rocker.  With the 205-70-15 snow tires on the height is now 10 1/2 ".  The stock tire is 195-60-15, so both sets tires are oversized and according to an online tire sizer the speedo will be fast by about 5 miles an hour. Give or take a few 10ths of a mile.   I can live with that.

Mark

great pic fairtax. That is want I would like to do to ours. Now that I hear it is not a real big deal, I'll wait for this Noreaster to get through and start taking the Outback apart.

I also want to thank Bushwick for that interchange link, It will make things a lot easier when I go junkyarding.

Last night I put the snow tires on the car and took a few measurments of the ride height. With the tires that came with the car, 225-60-16 the height is 11" to the bottom of the rocker. With the 205-70-15 snow tires on the height is now 10 1/2 ". The stock tire is 195-60-15, so both sets tires are oversized and according to an online tire sizer the speedo will be fast by about 5 miles an hour. Give or take a few 10ths of a mile. I can live with that.

Mark

Other way around. With larger than stock size tires your speedometer will read SLOWER.

But it'll probably only be off by 2-3 mph. The speedometers in these cars tend to read about 3-4 mph too fast with the stock size tire. With a larger tire it will generally read only about 2-3 mph slow.

gotcha, I checked the tire sizer again and relized I read the info backwards. Maybe Karen will not get any tickets this way.

Mark

Thinking backwards again!

Larger tires means the vehicle will be traveling faster than the speedometer reads.

Example: Speedometer says 65, actual speed will be 68.

Larger tire has a larger circumference, thus, travels a longer distance in one rotation.

Don't get tickets!