Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is this white greasy fluid (with photo)

2005 Outback 3.0 R.   Today I noticed a little plastic door on the passenger side just forward of the rear tire. This inspection door opens to a brake line junction. The brake lines, junction box, and surrounding area has a fine coating of a white greasy substance. You can see that it has pooled a little on the bottom edges of the lines and nut. The greasy substance has no smell, and is fairly thick, like Crisco.

The brakes work fine and the reservoir is full. There is no sign of a brake problem, and I have never worked in this area.

What is this substance, and should I be concerned or take any corrective action ? Is this part of the ABS system ?

Thank you - I appreciate your help. Hopefully you will see the photo, but it is attached.

Edited by craigmcd

Subaru has ordered dealers to apply some sort of coating on that brake line. Apparently some owners have experienced rear brake failure because of corrosion. What you describe sounds like some dealer has done  this. Easy to check. Just go to any dealer and it can run your VIN. Just ask if that "repair" has been done on your car. 

You guys are so right ! A few weeks ago I got a recall notice for brake lines on the under carriage and had a dealership inspect it. They reported no problems. I did not think of them spraying anti-corrosion films on some of the fittings, but that must be what it is. The greasy consistency helps it stay in place. THANKS. c